1. This forum is in read-only mode.

I Hope this doesn't tick seph off, Heaven Forbid if it does.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cahos Rahne Veloza, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Because of the removal of several retro ROMs/ISOs RomUlation's main download site now looks similar to its older rival ROMs hosting sites which is a shame seeing RomUlation is a cut above the rest. In fact, the preview pages of titles like the Pokemon games followed by the "This title is not available for download due to the ESA's complaints" page is very similar to the site's older contemporaries.

I'm not going to add to the pointlessness of other people's angered threads that got locked up with this thread of mine though, as I do sympathize with the admins here & the situation they are currently in.

But I do want to say that one thing I love about how RomUlation hosts retro ROMs is the way they bulk bundle retro ROMs like the ones for the NES, SNES, N64 etcetera. By this what I mean is, unlike RomUlation's rivals who for example hosts the Super Mario Bros. ROM & various ROM Hacks of it &/or its various redumps separately, RomUlation offers you one archived file with every version along with the one "true" good dump. For others this was a pain as they do not know which version they should get. But for some of us who do know what to look for, downloading one bundled file is better than individually downloading each one looking for that one version that you'd like.

2. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

[me=Stanley Richards]claps[/me]

That was beautiful.

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Eh? [​IMG]

I'd also like to add that aside from RomUlation's great library of games (that is before the ESA came butting in yet again), its forums is a wonderful place filled with a vast assortment of colorful people too :) By colorful I mean personalities, not colour as in a racist toned remark that is.

4. Stanley Richards

It's great that the forum is filled with people around the world

5. Cahos Rahne Veloza

True, but what's even better is that a lot of the people who are regulars do help out newbies who visit & seek for assistance when they need it.

There's also no elitist mentality here... well there's none that I know off anyway. Sure we have groupies like LittleKillism or the Pink Army, but that's only a superficial grouping, there are no real groups of elitists here who demand that you bow down before them & lick their whatever when you're a new face.

The admins & moderators are not snobs as well, sure they will joke a lot, but they won't demand that you worship them or else suffer the consequences. In fact, seph in particular has such a long strand of patience, especially during the first day (or even the first hour) when all of the "thanks for nothing" threads started flooding the forums.

6. awesomebros

awesomebros Well-Known Member

I think all they care about right now is staying out of prison.

7. Cahos Rahne Veloza

If you'd been slapped with a similar situation wouldn't you do the same? Having a criminal record, no matter how low or high a charge it is is not good for seeking employment opportunities you know.

8. awesomebros

awesomebros Well-Known Member

That's why I said that. This is most likely beyond just a criminal charge though. Isn't distributing roms a felony?

9. Cahos Rahne Veloza

As I said on threads similar to this, it also depends on where you're from, your country of origin that is & their laws.

Here's a bit of a funny annecdote :)

Last Thursday whilst I was en route to work I heard on the radio station the Jeepney ( a form of public transportation vehicle common to my country) I rode in was tuned into, the radio announcer was telling his listeners a few tricks & tips for being a Practical spender. For those of you who may be unfamiliar with the term "Practical Spender", what it means is spending wisely, often spending more on the essentials like food, the rent, bills etcetera.

Two of the tips he gave were:

1. Instead of watching movies at a movie theater as movie tickets here are kinda expensive, he said we should just get cable & wait 'til a new flick gets aired on it. Or, instead of buying new & original DVDs, we should just rent out videos from video rental stores since you really don't watch movies over & over. Or.... (the "fun part") he said, if you have internet, why not just download movies off of it! It's extremely funny seeing our country's laws are explicitly against buying pirated CDs &/or DVDs & yet downloading movies off of the internet is acceptable [​IMG]

2. His second "tip" was with regards to videogaming. Now before I continue, let me first tell you that unlike in most western countries which defines videogames both encompassing PC/Computer videogames & console games, in my country everyone classifies "videogames" as console games solely & PC Games are just that, PC Games.

Now onto what the guy said.... He said, instead of buying videogames (again strictly console discs &/or cartridges) that once done with kids often just disregard, why not just go online & download them as there are a lot of sites that offer free videogames for downloading he said.

This last bit in particular was the reason why I had such a great day that day [​IMG]

EDIT: Reply to Stanley's post below:

Thanks dude :)

10. Stanley Richards

Oh, and welcome back.

11. AnimeboyX3

AnimeboyX3 Well-Known Member

This totally made my day.Now I understand the cops can come knocking on the admins doors for not taking down the roms/isos and they had to just to avoid that.Now I wonder what'll become of romulation now that the roms are offline? :-\

12. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

we have plans.

13. Stanley Richards

It's a weapon, I know. Does it involve Gunpowder?

14. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

15. Stanley Richards

Whatever the case, good luck with that.
    In the mean time... I wonder if I can bomb the building...

16. Cahos Rahne Veloza

See?

All we have to do is wait for whatever plans seph & loony is cooking up. If it involves things that might not appeal to the majority, for example stop hosting ROMs/ISOs per se then we just have to make do.

17. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

Akk you kill me when you say that, the curiosity is so overwhelming. :p

@Chaos

This has to be one of the best topics I have seen yet over our, being RomU current situation you have covered pretty much everything it is a bummer we no longer have access to the retro games anymore and I do agree the way it was set up was just awesome and I doubt anyone would have found bulked up files like that anywhere else.

I do hope everyone reads your opening and other comments (Ja, wishful thinking) before starting the bitch sessions of why all the games have gone offline and take a second thought on it did just affect them but everyone including the admins.

18. Cahos Rahne Veloza

@Thasaidon: Well unlike those other people who posted those hateful threads & comments about how RomUlation's staff is handling the situation with the ESA as their first & worst post/s on the forums, I've been a regular member though I was not so present this past year. And I've grown to know a few of my fellow regulars & a bit of the admins to trust them enough that things will get better in the end :)

But I do admit, I was just like those people too when I first started, as proof:

Just like them I was just here for the ROMs. But this first post lead the way for me to get interested in talking to people in the community & though I was also a gruff, mean guy at the start, having made friends here who some of whom no longer frequent the place & who have helped me out have strengthened my love for the community that lies beyond the free games that was on offer.

19. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

Must have missed that era even back when you was a mod you seemed pretty level headed, course your big fancy words gave me headaches sometimes but you seemed pretty cool and being a retro gamer was a plus. (maybe if I quit doing name changes you might recall me :p)

20. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

I really don't like this topic, I feel this has been discussed so many times before, but whatever.

No. It's not criminal. Copyright infraction is a civil case, not a criminal one. A civil case does not add to your record but it can still result in fines and jail time. But that's a non-issue, we complied with the removal requests, we always have and we always will. RomUlation to us is not a source for pirating things to avoid paying, it's a source for pirating things to figure out what's worth paying for and what isn't. We run it with that in mind and we respond to removal requests with that in mind.