1. This forum is in read-only mode.

I gave blood today

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MitsukaiXxX, Dec 15, 2009.

1. MitsukaiXxX

MitsukaiXxX Well-Known Member

Woohoo!

I donated blood today for the first time.
    Hope it helps somebody out

Im proud :)

2. miros

miros Well-Known Member

I donated blood a while ago. Our school was hosting a blood drive and I got to leave calculus early because I was helping save up to three lives!
    miros

3. abiyo

abiyo Well-Known Member

congratulation for you bravery, it may safe people life!

4. Kage56

Kage56 Well-Known Member

what was it like, in great details please!

5. miros

miros Well-Known Member

The first thing that you do is answer some multiple choice questions on one of the computers they set-up. After that is done they use this spring like needle contraception to jab the tip of your middle finger to test how much iron is in your blood. Then you lie down on a table, they tie some sort of rubber around your arm to make the veins more prominent, and finally one of the nurses slides a very sharp needle into your arm so that the precious life juice can flow out into a baggy. The only painful bit is having your middle finger poked, nothing else hurts.
    miros

6. Kage56

Kage56 Well-Known Member

hurts like...?

7. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Being stabbed in the finger with a little needle. (short pain, goes away relatively quickly). Obviously the finger tips are some of the most sensitive points on the human body, so the pain is very noticeable.

I'd really just prefer that they jab the backside of your hand. That wouldn't hurt at all.

8. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

i never will give blood to any place where i live cause the local hospital is more of a training hospital for nurses and i don't feel like them jabbing a needle into my marrow by accident....

but i will donate some time later as long as it isn't from the local hospital.....

but congrats!! hope it saves someone in need of blood!

it wouldn't be as bad as having a needle in your gums near the roots of your teeth or a needle in the fatty part of your big toe.....that's more painful than a needle to the arm.

9. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

The first time you donate your blood, it will be in a darkish red colored.
    But after you donate it every 3 months, the color will be less darkish.

It's not that hurt, it's just like when a red ant bite you.that's all.

but, what really fun is, when you are needed to fill up the form before donating.
    and that's the time to "cheat" XD

10. Kage56

Kage56 Well-Known Member

cheat? what do you mean cheat?

11. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Don't tell them that you have had homosexual relationships, or tattoos, or needles?

12. bren10

bren10 New Member

well done on your first time donation, you should feel gould and dont forget to keep up the gould work. i have been donating for 20 years, my son and daughter now donate and its a good thing to do. does not take long or hurt plus you get a free drink and biscuit lol.
    as for your blood changing colour after the first time, never heard that and mine stays the same lol. also there is no need to worry about sudent nurses as you donate blood to the Blood transfusion service, they travel around with mobile units and have experience people so you dont need to visit a hospital. as for making any false deckarations on the questionare thats a big no no.
    my daughter had to have a lot of blood after being run over when she was young, without the blood diring severaloperations she may have not made it and i never forget that when i donate.

13. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

[me=hYpNoS]likes this[/me]

Congratulations-I hope the people in need truly get this-and not the idiots who made themselves sick :)

I never donated before, and I might never...not with my busy schedule (unless they took donations after 3am..and got rid of the form system).

14. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

@kage : Our class had to go to the regular marching every Wednesday, like what the military always do.
    Most of us hate that curriculum, even skipping it will makes our marks deducted(hell yeah, they are strict), so when there is an activity like this
    (twice for a semester, usually happen on wednesday), Some of us will (force)ourselves to go donate some of our blood even if we're
    sick(Cheating of course!).You can't donate your blood if you're sick, the staff will identified it based on the form that you've fill earlier,
    with some "interrogation".We will get a coupon as a prove after donating, thus give us an exception from going for the marching.Plus, an extra
    marks for it. :)
    So far I have donate my blood 4 times. well, I'm not proud. XD

@Tirith : No, spiky. :p

15. Apollooo

Apollooo Well-Known Member

i always feel little dizzy after donating blood

16. johncarl

johncarl Well-Known Member

i cant "give blood".
    i had malaria.

or can i....

17. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

lol i still remember when they stick that OMG needle in my vein for the 1st time..... i though its going to hurt like hell....

18. crimson089

crimson089 Well-Known Member

that's great! so what's your blood type? mine's the universal donor and i was thinking of trying to donate too cause i never did.

19. Luk7nk4

Luk7nk4 Well-Known Member

Big thumbs up for all the people who donate blood and plasma!!! :)

It really helps save other peeps' lives, keep it up!

20. GhanaChris

GhanaChris Well-Known Member

I think you can't, cause it'll be forever in your Blood. Not sure, because it stays in your Liver...