1. This forum is in read-only mode.

I am now a medical student... university advice please!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BloodVayne, Apr 18, 2010.

1. BloodVayne

BloodVayne Well-Known Member

So, yesterday I got the results of my university entrance exams. (past thread here http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=37734 )The wait had been KILLING me for the past three weeks. It got to the point where I refused to speak of the exams to my friends lest I ruin the mood by saying something nasty :p

Needless to say, I got in the faculty I was hoping for; I am now officially going to med school ;D

On that point, does anyone have any advice for a new college student, particularly a med student? I'm unfortunately "blind" on this issue... Thanks beforehand...

2. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

College/university will probably be the last time in your life you'll be able to chillax in a real social mixing pot of people from all walks of life and with such varying aspirations. Enjoy it for all its worth - study hearty, party hearty.

That said, if you want more specific advice (eg "how do I discern saline from saliva"), you'll have to make a more specific request.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

if you have to get a job don't work (in the job) more than 14 hours a week and don't have a job in your final year is what we were told. Though for a lot of students thats easier said than done.

4. manaseater

manaseater Well-Known Member

Get ready to hit the books like never before. managing a social life and study life (if you hope to pass) will actually be difficult now- you will have to plan your time well if you want to have any relaxation time. Exams in med school require a minimum of a month to prepare for, so forget about last minute cram up....

trust me, im in final MBBS part II.

5. Arron_zero

Arron_zero Well-Known Member

I'm not a med student but my sis is. I have only this to say to you and I'm sure it's true. (I hope)

Whatever you do, uni is the best time of your life.Enjoy it as much as you can but never forget what you're there for. And especially since you're in med and also if you're in one of the top unis, be sure to WORK YOUR ASS OFF. Enjoy what you do and work as hard as you can for what you want.

P.S you could spend less time here too =P just kidding of course xD

6. theunderling

theunderling Well-Known Member

Congratulations,youve deferred getting a job for a few years........Whooooopeeeee.

7. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

many years. medicial courses take a long time.

8. theunderling

theunderling Well-Known Member

Yep,and remember Ive seen the films with Dirk Bogarde.And one of my favourite comedies was "Doctor on the Go" with the late Robin Nedwell.So getting drunk and chasing birds-with a bit of studying thrown in-is the expected existence of a medical student...LOL

9. BloodVayne

BloodVayne Well-Known Member

I was thinking of getting a small tutoring job actually, but only once I get settled in and will probably quit, of course, in my final year.

Yeah, I seriously need to strike the balance between having fun and working hard :D . That's why I'm planning to focus on my studies in the first semester or so to get settled in. After that I can probably put having fun in my schedule...

6 or so years before I actually become a doctor or the sort...

10. alukado

alukado Well-Known Member

Congratulations