1. This forum is in read-only mode.

HP Slate vs iPad

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by miros, Jan 31, 2010.

1. miros

miros Well-Known Member

If you have not heard already, Apple has recently announced that they are going to release a new line of products called the iPad. The iPad is going to be a touch screen, multimedia, WiFi enabled device that has the ability to handle many things that you do on a daily basis. Then I was like, "Wait a sec', this sounds just like an iPhone or iTouch." To even add more disappointment to this realization, I discovered that there would be two main models, on that runs only on WiFi and another that has 3G built in. Clearly there are some similarities. A little while after my respect for Apple was obliterated, I saw another product that I thought may be the ticket to my sanity. This is the HP Slate. At a passing glance, there would appear to be very minor cosmetic differences, however, looks are very deceiving. For starters, the HP Slate does everything the iPad (ex. touch screen interface, movies, music, WiFi, web browsing, email, photos, ect.) can do, and that is just the beginning. The HP Slate will run Windows 7 operating system, meaning the compatibility for different applications is much greater compared to that of the iPad. Unlike the iPad, the HP Slate will support multitasking, which means that you can listen to music and download files from the internet. Another great feature is that the HP Slate will have a built in camera which would allow video chat. However, there are a couple things that concerns me, one of them being price. From what I have read, the iPad will start at 499.99 USD, while the HP Slate is speculated to start at around 799.99 USD. Price is not the only thing, another factor is the consumers. Is there a market for these kind of devices? Will the consumers see a need for these devices? Not enough sales translates to the discontinuation of development of these kinds of products. Another factor is batter life, I will not compare them because there has not been "real life" testing done that I know of ("real life" meaning that the test is not in a controlled environment with non-optimal conditions).
    As time marches onward, the day will come when they have been both released and actual comparisons will be made to see once and for all which product is truly best for the consumer.
    miros

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I tested a tablet PC about 10 years ago.

3. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Please use Paragraphs :)

Personally I think they are just a gimmick to get more money from you. And a worthless one at that. Bulkier and harder to carry around than a simple smart phone. Less powerful than a full out Laptop. It's the worst of both worlds, set up to drain you of 500-800 USD.

4. teheezin

teheezin Guest

iPad is just another larger iPhone Apple created to eat more money

5. markswan

markswan Well-Known Member

Apparently the Ipad cant run multiple applications at the same time; you are limited to just one. To me, this is reason enough not to buy it, it is just an over-sized Ipod Touch.
    People who talk list in its collection of features that it functions as a colour ebook also irritates me; the reason people spend £150.00+ on an ebook is because of the e-ink technology that allows the user to read for extended periods of time without eye-ache and because of their long battery life. The Ipad has a back-lit LCD screen; it will be as uncomfortable for extended reading as the computer monitor that i'm looking at bleary-eyed right now, and if the battery life is anything like other Apple products it will be nothing but a second-rate mirror soon enough.

6. AstroGod

AstroGod Well-Known Member

iPad is going to be the worst device ever! You might as well call it an oversized ipod touch! Don't get it

7. crazytuna

crazytuna Well-Known Member

How to make an iPad

[​IMG]

add an extra 200$ since they're using precise Steam Rollers :eek:

8. snebbers

snebbers Well-Known Member

Win Crazytuna... Absolute win...

9. deanalexander

deanalexander Well-Known Member

Its Apple, for whatever product they make, you just know they are going to get alot of profit.

10. emmkayye

emmkayye Well-Known Member

ohh...so which is better? coz i was thinking of getting an ipad but then u guys said it was bad...

11. CloudBoii12

CloudBoii12 Well-Known Member

iPad. Hands down.

12. wbslider

wbslider Guest

I just think the IPAD is not portable enough. Well, Lets just see how it markets.

13. emmkayye

so...i should get the ipad?

14. teheezin

teheezin Guest

To be honest there's no reason why you guys should get an iPad rather than an iPod Touch.. seriously..

15. stirgo1212

stirgo1212 Well-Known Member

Ipad is just another corporate sham

16. miros

miros Well-Known Member

If I were you with 499.99 USD plus tax or any other fees charged planned for purchasing the Apple iPad, then by all means do it. I am not going to tell you that you should not buy this product because I know that there are people out there that would like to have a device that does exactly what the iPad does. However, in my opinion I would strongly recommend that you look in to purchasing an iPod Touch. You will have the exact same functions as a iPad, except in a much more practically sized, more easily portable device that will leave some cash left over that can be spent on other things. Or better yet would be to save up your pennies and wait for the HP Slate to be released later this year and look into purchasing one of them. At least then you can go to an electronics store and play around with both of them and make a decision based on your needs and wants.
    miros

17. wbslider

wbslider Guest

emmkayye

I think you should wait and see how they sell and there feedback ect. I wouldnt by one yet.

18. emmkayye

i have an ipod touch but im looking to buy a laptop and well since the ipad is kinda like one i thought maybe i should wait for it to come out (in aus)

19. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

ipad is nothing like a laptop.

20. miros

miros Well-Known Member

The Apple iPad is not intended to replace your laptop, it was created and marketed as a very fancy looking multimedia device that has the ability to connect to WiFi or 3G for further digital needs.
    miros