1. This forum is in read-only mode.

How To Root Sony Xperia L C2104/C2105 (15.3.A.0.26) [Basic tutorial]

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Joel16, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Joel16

Joel16 Well-Known Member

This is a very basic understandable tutorial especially for the noobies, so if you are new to all this rooting crap, this is the right place to be ;)

Rooting Sony Xperia L (C2104 / C2105) Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Build [15.3.A.0.26]

New method in progress

Part A: Partial Root
    (Note: in order to unlock your bootloader you must do this first)

1. Connect the phone in debugging mode via USB. To enable debugging mode, go to Settings => Development => Check "USB Debugging".

2. Wait for the drivers to install. Happens automatically on Windows 7 and Windows 8.

3. Download this zip file and extract it.

4. After extracting, run "Run.bat". Admin rights usually not needed.

5. Follow On-Screen instructions.

Now the partial root should be completed. If the exploit fails to run, try running again.
    (You can leave your phone at this state once it's partially rooted, if you're not wanting to void you warranty by unlocking the bootloader. However you wont be able to run apps that require full root access, but apps like "Greenify, Titanium Backup and SetCPU should work)

Part B: Unlocking the bootloader
    (Note: This part is necessary to fully root your device, although you can try DooMLoRD's script support for full root without unlocking boot loader, I'm not sure of this so you'd might wanna take a look at it)

TA Backup using DevShaft's Tool (needs root access) :

1. Download backup tool from here ( Read everything carefully )
    2. Run the tool with usb debugging on.
    3. Your TA will be backed up. You can find zip in backup folder.
    4. Unzip it and check for TA img file which should be roughly around 2048 KB.
    5. There you have it.

Instructions are right here (The official Sony way)

Might wanna look here for more information

Part C: Full Root

Without flashing your kernel:

1. Open Play Store, and install SuperSU by Chainfire.

2. Open SuperSU and it will ask to update the binary file. Do that.

3. If SuperSU exits, open it again, and now this time it will ask to uninstall the existing root management software(Superuser)

4. Open SuperSU again, if it exits, and now go to "Settings" and choose "Install SuperSU to /system"

5. Reboot phone.

Now your phone should be fully rooted. If you're wanting to unroot, use this app.

djrbliss (Dan Rosenberg)-( for motochopper)
    Rachit Rawat(for his kernel)
    dj2tusk (for his tutorial and for providing Xperia L root.zip)
    Chinese for the VRoot
    DooMLoRD
    Waledac for his method on xda

Summary
    What this app basically does is scan you device's internal sd-card to locate all the apps which have their data on it. You can move the data from internal to external sd-card. This app does so by copying the same folder to the external card and then mount the data so that the system thinks that the data is still intact in the internal card.

Though this was originally made for Gameloft games, it works with other apps too

1. Get root on your device.

2. Install GL to SD from google play store. (Free APP)

3. Open the app and it will greet you with all the movable app's data.

4. Check all the app's data you want to move.

5. Click on move.

2. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Re: How To Root Sony Xperia L (Android Rooting)

Emulation on mobile devices is definitely one of the hugest things right now. Of course, it's much easier to just get an OPPO Find 5 where you don't need to go through all this trouble. </shamelessplug> :D

3. Joel16

Joel16 Well-Known Member

Re: How To Root Sony Xperia L (Android Rooting)

Haha, never heard of that till now and its cool that it supports Cyanogen Mod and Paranoid Andriod o;

4. reekon_retro

reekon_retro Well-Known Member

Re: How To Root Sony Xperia L C1204/C1205 - Android Rooting [Comprehensive tutorial]

Yeah rooting countless phones that are different models is a pain in the nethers. I've only rooted the Huawei U8500 with a different method and now I'm trying to root my Alcatel OT 4010x(sometimes called the T'Pop or Glory s2 If I'm correct) with no success. Any tips guys?

5. Joel16

Joel16 Well-Known Member

Re: How To Root Sony Xperia L C1204/C1205 - Android Rooting [Comprehensive tutorial]

From what I've read this is the only way to do it, they say it works for the 4010x

1st: Download superuser.apk via playstore and install.

2nd: Download ishuaji root tool

3rd : Install root tool

Then run the root tool as you normally do. and root your device just by clicking the green button, then wait until it's finished. Now you'll have normal superuser which is in English. (The root tool is in Chinese, but these steps will tell you how it goes ;D)
    Post Merge: [time]1380910993[/time]
    Btw should I make more rooting tutorials, for other phones?

6. Joel16

Joel16 Well-Known Member

New Firmware Update

Sony Xperia L 15.3.A.0.26 Firmwares is out. (Got it via Sony PC Companion)

- Google Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean)

- A revamped homescreen experience for handling widgets, apps and shortcuts. With up to 7 desktop panes, widgets that auto-resize and actionable notifications, you have complete flexibility to create the interface you want / need with a few simple touches!

- Application tray sorting is that bit breezier – just press and hold on any app – move, add it to your desktop or create a folder within the tray by dropping it on top of another! We’ve also added a new search function within the application tray that makes it easy to locate your local apps.

- Updated UI and added functionality in the Sony Media apps. For example: Playmemories integration in the album application and Music Unlimited integration in the walkman application.

- Added camera functionalities such as Burst mode that ensures you never will miss a perfect shot again.

- Superior auto and burst mode

- performance stability

Please do note, the above rooting method does not work on the latest update, if users are wanting to keep their root access, I suggest you not to update until a stable rooting method is released.
    Post Merge: [time]1383103395[/time]
    A rooting method has been confirmed working, Check back tomorrow :)

7. Joel16

Joel16 Well-Known Member

Re: How To Root Sony Xperia L C2104/C2105 - Android Rooting [Comprehensive tutorial]

Topic Updated with latest stable rooting method for Xperia L.

8. Joel16

Joel16 Well-Known Member

vRoot brings malware

vRoot method removed - I have no problem with is cause the MTKCamera is not installed on my phone ;D

Some of you may have seen a thread floating around other Xperai device boards, but it seems the recent VRoot rooting method injects a suspicious app onto some devices.

Under Settings -> Apps -> Downloaded, an app called MTKCamera is hidden in the app tray but has the following permissions:
    Change network connectivity
    Connect and disconnect wifi
    Full network access
    View network connection
    View wi-fi connection
    Pair with bluetooth devices
    Allow wifi multicast reception
    Ttake pictures and videos

It is not clear what it's doing, but not all handsets have this installed but it is removable. Given it's permissions anything could be likely from taking pictures without your consent, or perhaps uploading personal details.

If anyone here has it on there device and it will to decompile it, it would be interesting to see what it does. Was on my device since VRoot first came out.
    Post Merge: [time]1384194968[/time]
    Updated with new rooting method, (confirmed safe by xda member, Levered) I haven't tested it yet so I don't know how it goes.

Use this at your own risk.