1. This forum is in read-only mode.

how to put PS1 games on your DS

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by triemie, Jun 16, 2009.

1. triemie

triemie Well-Known Member

title explains is this possible , help me please ?

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

no, it's not possible.

3. triemie

triemie Well-Known Member

Damnit

4. Loonylion

PS1 is considerably more powerful than DS, and the DS probably can't address enough memory to read a game the size of a PS1 game.

5. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

Wasn't this asked already some time ago?

6. Loonylion

frequently.

7. MadmanNero

Ah shows how much I pay attention, you ever get anyone asking about putting DS games on PSP yet?

8. Wintrale

Wintrale Well-Known Member

Nobody is that stupid.

9. MadmanNero

You would be suprised at some of the questions I get asked, no that wasn't one of them either I was just being a smartass.
    But I was asked once about putting .avi or mpg4 files on a micro SD card and if it was placed into a cellphone could one watch movies on it.

10. Wintrale

Wintrale Well-Known Member

I doubt asking if video playback is available on their phone (which phones in general have been able to do for at least three years now) is on the same level as "Can I play a game that requires two screens and touchscreen-capability on my PSP, which has neither of those?". But yeah, I get your point. It would be nice to play PSOne and N64 games on the DS, but it's not possible. The DSi might be able to, with some major tweaking, but even then it wouldn't work well at all unless someone managed to find a way to make emulators run much better without anywhere near as many resource-usage.

I guess, though, since companies have ported PSOne games to the DS, it's possible for people to do that as well (although they'd obviously need to compress everything like mad, although that wouldn't matter too much since the size of the DS's screens means compression is hard to spot). But who would have the patience to do that? I certainly wouldn't.

11. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Actually, I think someone emulated DS on the PSP just to prove the power was there. But of course it's not actually usable without the touch screen (except maybe the games that don't use the screen). Plus it'd be such a small screen to fit both on there.

Anyway, it was done to prove it could be done, but beyond that, it wouldn't be worth it.

And the DSi wouldn't be able to play PSOne or N64 games with any amount of tweaking. Any improvements from the Lite to the DSi were minor, and no where near enough to be powerful enough. Games like Mario 64 for the DS were completely built to work with the DS, not just minor tweaks or a nintendo built emulator.

12. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

You could use the joystick as the touch screen by holding a button at the same time to drag and the d-pad would be fine for movement

13. n3m3s!s

n3m3s!s Active Member

(I usually don't do this, but exceptions are made in extreme situations...) -.-

14. zangief

zangief Well-Known Member

i don't think there's a PSX emulator for the DS yet, and even if there is one, good luck putting a 700mb+ game on your 1gb DS flashcart.

15. sexywogboy

sexywogboy Well-Known Member

There is never going to be a PSX emulator for DS.

A DS needs to be atleast 5 times faster than it is to even think about it.

A PSP is like 3 times faster than a DS, and that can't emulate PSX games. And before anyone says, "I play PSX games perfectly on my PSP".......They aren't technically PSX games!!! They have been converted into EBOOTS, which is the only way to play PSX games on a PSP. There is absoloutly no emulation used in this case.

16. TirithRR

There absolutely is emulation used on the PSP for the PSX.

It is an official PSX emulator built by Sony. It's called POPS (Playstation on PSP). That is why you use the "POPS" loader to play eboots using POPS from older versions of the official firmware.

I believe the POPS emulator was added at around 3.0 or 3.1 Official Firmware.

Bottom line, it IS an emulator. And the PSP IS emulating the PSX when it plays. The Eboot is just putting the information in a format understandable by the PSP interface (it's like adding a CUE sheet for the ISO). It contains the CD Data, and other information that lets the PSP find it.

17. Loonylion

since its sony developed it is as efficient as it possibly can be though

18. sexywogboy

sexywogboy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the explanation, I'm always willing to learn new stuff :)

19. TirithRR

I think the official Sony method of creating eboots from the PSX games makes a much more stable game than using the programs like PSX2PSP, which is why we have to use popsloader to play our games and Sony doesn't need to.

20. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

wogboy, many other factors come into play. Using those set "numbers" can be affected by thing such as vram, polygons etc.