1. This forum is in read-only mode.

How to make a forum and login system on a website

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by joe_yoshi, Jun 11, 2008.

1. joe_yoshi

joe_yoshi Well-Known Member

If you read the title of this topic, you will find out immediately that I am making a website. But how in the world are you supposed to make a forum and a way for people to register and log in and out a really easy way? If anyone could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

For a forum, you download a forum software like SMF (one RomUlation uses) or PhpBB or something, or Vbulletin which isn't free. Then you find an online host thing (I think) and you upload the software there etc. I wouldn't know, as I don't do it the hard way, the Admins can help you out there. Or find yourself one of those free forum hosting sites, just complete a registration form, and you've got your own forum hosted on their servers.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Don't use PhpBB or you'll spend your whole time undoing the damage caused by hackers. Login systems are relatively easy to make, you just need to know a server-side scripting language such as PHP, asp/asp.net (highly insecure), jsp or perl, as well as SQL. Integrating with a forum login system like RoMulation does requires a fairly fluent understanding of the language the forum system is written in (PHP in the case of SMF) and a fairly good knowledge of SQL.

4. joe_yoshi

joe_yoshi Well-Known Member

... wow, it's all greek to me but i will try to use the info you both gave me as best as i can... Thanks by the way! :)

5. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Hmm, never knew PhpBB was so badly written. Then SMF and Invision Power Board are good choices :)

6. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

The new version isn't so bad, it's just got quite the reputation.