1. This forum is in read-only mode.

How to grab an IP through bittorrent (Education)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tapwatah, Aug 26, 2007.

1. tapwatah

tapwatah Well-Known Member

First, get a torrent client. We'll be using Azures
    Download http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

Get a popular torrent from various sites. We're not going to be downloading the software, so it doesn't matter. For this, we're going to be using a popular torrent as well. After that, open the torrent using azures. After you have opened it, azures should appear like this:

After that, we need to see who are using the torrent. Double-click on the torrent and a new Azures tab should pop up. It should look like this:
    [​IMG]
    Click on the "Peers" tab as seen above.
    There should be a list of numbers like this: 45.78.12.45.3 These are IPs. A hacker can easily hack into and crash one of these computers. I'm not going to show you how, partly because I don't know, but mostly because I'm showing you how dangerous bittorrent can be.

2. cjfc.vp

cjfc.vp Well-Known Member

It can't all be that bad if you have a decent firewall running while on a bittorrent app.

3. tapwatah

Not true! A bittorrent app reads you're IP. If someone sends enough pings to your comp, even with a firewall, it will crash.

4. cjfc.vp

cjfc.vp Well-Known Member

well....can't you get one of those IP hider programs to hid your IP from everyone? I've never used one of them so i dont really know how it works.

5. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

The only way to hide your IP from the end source is using a proxy, these are usually slow so for downloading it\'s just stupid. But seriously, this is overly paranoia, every single time you go to a website they log your IP, for example: tapwatah, I know your IP is 69.2xx.xxx.xxx (x\'ed on purpose)

Without your IP people wouldn\'t know where to send data, you would be a cripple on the internet, you wouldn\'t be able to receive any data at all. And sure, you can TRY and hack into that computer, but unless the person on the other end is a dimwit you won\'t succeed. And to ping a computer to it\'s knees you need a network of computers to do it, such networks are worth money and people would rather sell their services to kill sites than single persons. Do be safe on the internet, but don\'t be paranoid, the chances of getting hacked because people can see your IP are smaller than the chances of being mugged on an afternoon walk through Central Park.

Oh yeah cfj: You better have a firewall on AT ALL TIMES, not but while running a bit torrent application. Of course, most routers come with a firewall embedded in their hardware so a software file isn\'t necessarily a must have.

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

ok, from a networking professional. The only way to physically crash a computer using pings is the so-called ping of death. This works by exploiting a bug in early TCP/IP implementations that would crash the machine if it received an ICMP echo request (a ping packet) of a size greater than a certain size. Very few, if any, machines are still vulnerable to this kind of attack, and very few ping programs allow you to perform them.

7. nomercy

nomercy Well-Known Member

Physically crash? Wouldn't that be hitting it with a sledgehammer?

Your IP is your (osi-lvl3) identity on the internet. It's what makes the internet so powerful, yet vulnerable. The best you can do is secure your pc as good as possible (firewall, anti-virus, common sense), but if you really want to be secure, you shouldn't link your pc to the internet at all (like servers with delicate/private/secret information).

8. Loonylion

I meant crash the machine as opposed to flooding the internet connection.

9. adrelith

adrelith Well-Known Member

Good point. And even in the unlikely even you are running a machine that is vulnerable the majority of routers these days have built in POD protection that works quite well. Of course that only applies to people behind a router, but that's not unusual with the ever-growing numbers of home wifi and networks.

10. tapwatah

Right. Most of you are. But the last line doesn't define th whole post :p

11. Assi9

Assi9 Active Member

I've always hated BT from the start for making IPs so public. Some sites even post the list of IPs and who sent how much. Real ignorant. I actually got bored and found someone's email by searching their IP address and emailed them telling them that they connected to me with BitLord and it was sending their IP to me, hehe.

12. Loonylion

regular P2P (eg. kazaa) is much worse....

13. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

actually....Ping attack doesnt work anymore ever since broad band have been introduce....during the dail up age, with the max speed is 65k, ping attack is very effective...and it only need around 10 pc for the attacks...but now.....with 1Mb connections, you will need atleast 100 or more pcs for ping attack to work.....

14. Loonylion

no, one is enough. The reason it worked was because the packet was malformed, and vulnerable machines didn't know how to deal with it, so they crashed; because it was bigger than it was expected to be. One packet was all it took to crash a vulnerable machine.

What you are talking about is a ping flood attack, which doesnt crash machines so much as it saturates their internet connection.

15. Seph

Also known as a buffer overflow, it's still quite common in programming.

There are multiple ways for a machine to be vulnerable, it doesn't necessarily involve the machine itself being affected though.
    But imagine this: You run a server and have it set to respond to ping, nothing unsafe in that right?

Well imagine a baddie wants to annoy server A by saturating their connection, they would ping your server, but instead of sending his own IP in the packet he sends the IP of Server A, thereby making your server ping server A. Scale this up and you a whole lot of servers sending pings to even more servers with the return IP of Server A.

Of course there are better ways to bring servers offline but this is just an example of how you always have to consider every possibility, it's not always as black and white as one might think.

16. adrelith

adrelith Well-Known Member

Another way to cause someone trouble if they are on Windows XP is through flooding. XP has a built in feature that is designed to prevent your computer from being port scanned quickly enough for it to be a viable attack method. It only allows a certain number of connections (say 10) at any one time. If this number of connections are reached, even if you have internet with unlimited band you wont be able to make an outgoing connection, nor receive an incoming one. People can take advantage of this fact and either trick your PC into thinking it has over that number of connections, or use outside computers to continually make them - either way all they need it your IP. I'm not sure if that was patched in one of the service packs, or an update, I just know that it's one way to run denial of service on XP.

17. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

I need to update on hacker's attack >.>

18. Rockstar99

Rockstar99 Well-Known Member

Hmmm yes that would work on uTorrent too, right? since there both the nearly the same? i'm download something (not saying what) and there is a peers list 2, it even has the country where the people are! (little flag next to the IP) but if there are hackers, they would just ruin the "fun" of using utorrent. :mad:

19. tapwatah

I found out something. Well, as you couldn't easily ping-crash something, you can find out where their relative location is. Go to IP2location.com to find out where their nearest ISP is. I tested it to find out it was true by typing my own IP, and it came up with the city right next to mine (where my ISP is).

20. Seph

Well duh, if you expect to be anonymous on the internet then you're just plain ignorant. I have a database of which city each IP belong to, I could use it on RomUlation if I wanted to.