1. This forum is in read-only mode.

How to burn PGen and other emulators for PS2 using Mac?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Diego Mendez, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Diego Mendez

Diego Mendez Member

First thread here, visually.

So, I started this thread on another forums two days ago, but no replies
    So, lemme see if RomUlation will do the job, or not?

I want to make my PGen (Genesis Emulator for PS2) compilation with my
    own roms on a CD-R, but because I'm stuck on a Mac (and no tutorials for
    creating this resides for Mac), can't create it without knowing how to burn first.

Plus, it's not only I want help for PGen, I want to simply know how to create
    a CD-R for PSMS, FCEUltra, and SNES-Station. Help is appreciated, as I spent
    days googling without results.

And please, try to use Toast 6, Toast 9 or the Disk Utility as I have them.

If this not the right place for this thread, feel free to move it.

2. Diego Mendez

Diego Mendez Member

Mac users, at least notice us a bit, we searched many times and still nothing.

3. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

Ah, the royal "we". What are ya, the King of all cosmos?

Anyway, Disk Utility is pretty good, I hear.

But before I go any further, how do you have your ps1 modded? If you have freeMCboot, you probably have ulaunchelf and a USB stick, in which case you might as well load from USB. If you have swap magic, you can press square to boot an .elf on a cd. If you have a chip, it depends. Install freeMCboot if you can, so you can launch the emus from a MC or USB stick.

Now, for PGEN, PSMS and FCEU is should be as simple as burning a file disc with the emu and ROMS, but for SNES-station it's pretty hard.

There are also a lot of premade deluxe emulator ISOs that you can play as a ps1 CD/DVD game, usually with a lot of games but sometimes missing some, so you can give that a go and you don't have to build anything.

All in all, though. Hate to not completely answer your question, but get a 2gb usb stick for like 5 bucks. It is much, MUCH easier than CDing your emus/roms, plus you won't have to reburn images (all discs scratch over time). but DO NOT GET KINGSTON. get a sandisk drive and it should work.

4. Diego Mendez

Diego Mendez Member

Sorry for being royal late, I just don't focus here too much.

Now for the emus, I just have a slim PS2 and a CodeBreaker v10. I want a QUICK way to boot the disc, not getting something like SwapMagic to do the work. And with my own games, wether the worst (were they won't bother with) or rare to find, I can then enjoy rather than having a deluxe ISO. SO, we want a way to CD'it on a Mac, in which then we can have a tutorail for this.
    Sincd you mentioned Disk Utitilty, would you please explain how to burn this, or at least a way to save the ISO on the desktop in order to burn it later? Lastly, I feel that my PS2 doesn't have a mod. The first we tried a backup was the full ISO, with nothing changed. CB v10 won't work with a USB attached to this PS2 model, and heh, I think I'm a Kingstoner, lol. I have another USB, sadly I can't write it on a Mac.

I'm not be the king of anything, but one extra step and you are the first one to tell us how to burn those bad boys and become the king of burning elf's via Macs!

5. personuser

The "king of all cosmos" bit was actually a joke about Katamari Damacy, a popular ps2 game. The king talks in a "royal we". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katamari_Damacy

Okay, codebreaker, eh?

As far as macs in general, I came across this on the SNES-STATION FAQ:

How do I burn it using a Mac?

Some people have successfully reported burning SNES-Station using a Mac. ElkayPS2 posted: "I run Virtual pc with win98SE and used the cdgen method, then burnt the .bin file under diskimage format with Toast 5.0.2 back on the mac OS. (discard the .cue as usual). Works like a charm"

However, This person was NOT using a codebreaker.

Also: you may want to get some sort of USB stick. Apperently codebreaker CAN load from USB , and it's easier. Viveo Tute of that here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l-IOIZqoJo

With that, you wouldn't even need to worry about burning.

If the sticks keep CB from starting then, yeah, they're incompatible. MAke sure they're formatted to FAT32 and if that doesn't work see if you can get/borrow another brand.

As far as the CD, it does seem a little hard to do with your swap method. I don't even know if it can boot .elf discs (other stuff like swaps are programmed to read .elfs on discs)

One thing about the ROMs on the disc; You have to add more than 20 or it won't boot.

ALSO, you may be able to freemcboot mod your PS2 so you don't even have to put in the codebreaker disc to load snes station, PGEN or any other emus; it lets you load it from the PS2's MENU! Read here: http://freemcboot.psx-scene.com/codebreaker.php

6. Diego Mendez

Diego Mendez Member

Ok, just to be quick, I'm not even using a brand new Mac in order to run Virtual PC, and the top of this, it's a PPC PowerMac 3.5 from 2002. Sounds old, huh? Yes, it is. I HAD a Windows, but I seperated it into parts for an air travel. This really old Mac is the only remaining computer and I won't put much effort to get a new Mac when I can get good a Windows later!

So, I'm not swapping, I can run a backup normally as if it's a bought one (they are even copies!), so, an ISO creator (must work like a compressor) in which then I can create a compilation of my games.

I know about having more than 20 roms, expect it was 10. Don't worry! I have a lot of Gen and NES roms on a phone, and the rest is on a CD. I tought there are no HD slims, but no, mine ain't one. CB will not boot always, in fact, it sometimes boot, but sometimes not. If elf disc didn't work that normal way, I have an ARMax! Is it opening to more stuff sometimes? Regarding the USB, will check of another that CB will like.

Keep your searchings up! The stuff you came up with is worth that for some people, AND when you come up with a way to this, I can even create tutorials, without missing to give you credits for this. And the 'king of the cosmos' joke was pretty nice. I never tought it was from PS2 game.

7. personuser

Okay, let's get started. We'll do SNES-STATION first because It's pretty-well documented.

You can run games as if they were real? You most likely have a modchip.

As far as ROMs on the disc, as far as I know, it SHOULD be 20+, but the total size of the (roms+emu) ON A CD can't be more than a
    bout 600mb. Also, one program per disc. The ps2 can only load 1 .elf from it.

It seems that to make a SNES-STATION CD, you have to make an ISO from files.

Converting THIS tutorial: http://www.moreroms.com/emulators/snes/snes_cd_020.pdf for mac:

So, open up an ISO making program (toast I guess, no real experience with macs though)
    Now drop SYSTEM.cnf, INSTALL.cnf and SNES_EMU.elf into the CD, and roms in any directory you like.

Create the ISO.

Now, burn it onto a CD.

That might work.

Also, I've found a precompiled Emulator CD with roms on the net if that doesn't work, just burn these with toast:

SNES: http://linksave.in/17869859404ada90f1c6929

...unfortunately, that's the only one I could find.

Now, if you DO have a USB stick that works with your ps2, the best method (which doesn't involve emulator burning) is installing freeMCboot through a CD. Tute here: http://freemcboot.psx-scene.com/disc.php

...unfortunately, that uses a windows-only app too, so you might have to look for a premade one.

anyway, with freeMCboot you can run apps off of a USB drive (which is MUCH easier) and play roms from that drive or a cd. more on that later.

until i can do any better, burn the snes-station cd and tell me how it works. Then maybe we can figure out how to get the rest on.

8. Diego Mendez

Diego Mendez Member

Ok, you showed some. but I do not know how to make an ISO with it, unless I waste an extra CD of mine on the ISO 9960,
    though. Don't worry, I look through the help section for a better way though.

You are completely perfect, but we have to wait in order for me to finish off the disc, the Mac is ruined by now.
    After the famous "Eid El-Fetr" 3 day cellebration, as the ruined part is the power supply, and have to wait
    until after that because this part is rare here in Egypt. So keep your eyes on this topic open, and let's see
    later if that will do a lot to Macs. Then I'll tell about your tutorial on other forums, crediting you.
    Anybody creates the ISO via a Mac using the tutorail and opens succesfuly should let us know.

Even the read-only USB didn't work with CB. So let's download FreeMCBoot after the Mac is fixed.
    And even the games we buy, are copies, because it is. I got an NFSMW, only to have a selector within it.

Thanks for opening up a lot of info for Macs about this.

9. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

hmmm...i know Toast for mac can mount ISO's...

10. Diego Mendez

Diego Mendez Member

But the most important part here is creating an ISO from a set of files instead of CDs. I'll look into this part and with it, the tutorial for SNES-Station via Mac will be 100% complete.

Just let me ask. Can I just burn FreeMCBoot, and just do any stuff with it without installing it? Because I'm not a one with an HD PS2, I just have a slim that fot some reason can't boot some games (I had an older slim that can boot it, but this one can't despite I didn't touch the CDs).
    And, shall I get SwapMagic? Will it read any kind of USB, or act just like CB?

EDIT: As far as the ISO thing in my mind, I think you create an IMG via an IMG creator (the compression commonly used when downloading Mac software, such as Stuffit Expander). I've seen it before, but don't know it's name. If you have it, create the IMG, throw it to Disk Utility to convert it to an ISO. I'll just put it up after the Mac is back and confirm how to burn this bad boy because it's know like 92% complete. If you do the converting from IMG to ISO and that works, now both of us are the masterminds.

11. personuser

FreeMCboot does not require a Harddrive, but it does require at least 3mb of memory card space. With it, you can launch a program called Ulanchelf (which takes up about 300 kilobytes) and run all of your emulators from a usb stick from there. However, it will NOT work on some slim models (namely any walmart-bought "super-slim" models made fall 2008 or later) Swap magic is pretty much the same thing, except you don't have to store anything on a memory card. The major downside to this is, with all the swappng you'll be doing (or even if you don;t use it to boot PS2 games, all the inserting and removing you'll be doing is bound to scratch it eventually; It doesn't help that swaps are made of a fairly weak substance. But if you have A Fall 2008+ bought "super slim" then it's the only choice (and what I use). As far as recognized usb, Codebreaker is veery touchy, from what I know. Probably all Sandisk drives will work and most other brands too for swap, It's quite good. Same goes for freeMCboot.

12. Diego Mendez

Diego Mendez Member

So, to install this I have to wait for a new memory card. And then, I can boot stuff via my USB. Cool. I just hope it reads the blue read-only stick.

If you have a Mac or one at your friends, try what I said in my above post's edit. Or someone else might confirm this while I long wait the Mac.

Join the Mendez Brothers, my friend!

13. personuser

Yeah, that's about right.

I am a PC man myself, but hopefully the mac solution will come through. Good luck!

14. Diego Mendez

Diego Mendez Member

personuser, I got gifted with a Windows Laptop.
    So, I can't try doing this on Mac anymore. Someone
    have to confirm this.

Sorry for the lateness.

15. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Well-Known Member

toast is a waste of time get dr<agon burn via xtorrent and it will work just fine for 99% of the formats, try getting the latest version, you could also bootcamp and input windows vista or 7 and add img burn

16. Diego Mendez

Diego Mendez Member

You never noticed I had a non-Intel Mac. Try the above of converting DMG. If you have a way around this,
    it mustn't involve installing Windows on Mac. Otherwise...

17. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Well-Known Member

dragon burn i belive it works on non intel macs

18. Diego Mendez

Diego Mendez Member

Just tell us if the above "Convert DMG" method works, or show us a way to burn this via
    this Dragon Burn.