1. This forum is in read-only mode.

How the hell do you do it !

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Girogex, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Girogex

Girogex Guest

I was just wondering how on earth do you afford to run romulation seph ? It must cost a lot with all the roms/isos you have on offer. I hope one day you wont go bust and romulation goes down with you.

2. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

http://blog.romulation.net/the-forgotten-aspect-the-business-plan/

I wrote a tiny bit about just that some time ago. Basically it's about being realistic, we run the ads, the offer the points and premium and we limit users, at the moment we're even considering limiting the download speed a bit more because these last few days we've been too damn popular, and our EU server especially can't keep up. (We have ordered an improved server though, but it's not going to be ready until the 1st of march)

So yeah, it's basically about being realistic and not spending more than we know we can afford.

3. Girogex

Girogex Guest

Can't wait for the new server then :D.

4. Usoppu

Usoppu Well-Known Member

Well this happened to 'black market server':

Webmaster in the start was triying to provide the site Ad free (bless him)

But in the end he shut it down due to excessive leechers, not enough traffic (this sites opposite), and literally no donations :-[

5. Seph

Usoppu: We always have enough money before we buy something, we don't buy a new server thinking we'll get enough donations if we just ask etc, so we should be safe enough financially.

6. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

I remember reading one of your older comments seph, where you even get to have enough actual profits from the ads that you pocketed for yourself :) Just shows you that RomUlation is doing pretty well.

7. Usoppu

Usoppu Well-Known Member

yeah that would be crazy :eek:

If he got that much from ads alone it would be shocking, I seen so few (a good thing might i ad)

8. chanda

chanda Member

.. We really should apply this to life, lol. Put it in big, bold, billboard letters to attract the attention of folks who work overtime with their credit cards.

I commend you for having such a rare skill. *clapclap*

9. C02M0

C02M0 New Member

i am sorry for thread jacking (thets how u say it ? ) but i have another "how do you do it " question .
    i can understand some rom sites get a lot of roms but none of them never updated as fast as Romulation!
    how do you mange getting the dumps so fast ?
    (and since im alredy in a thread about romulation i figure ill give a compliment , youre site is the best. )

10. Seph

Ah, I'm afraid I can't really answer that question, but even if I could you wouldn't be able to replicate it. (also this makes me sound way more cooler than I am, I don't actually have a lot of access to ROMs and such, I just know some good places to get things where normal people can't get them)

11. Deathbreak911

Deathbreak911 Well-Known Member

It's all about who you know, Cosmo ^.^

12. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

It's a cornerstone of running a successful business.

13. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Read the Request topic.

14. bleh_asura

bleh_asura Well-Known Member

oo my godness XD

15. ndsroms_uk

ndsroms_uk New Member

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

i dont know how the hell to do it

lol only messin

Ah, I'm afraid I can't really answer that question, but even if I could you wouldn't be able to replicate it. (also this makes me sound way more cooler than I am, I don't actually have a lot of access to ROMs and such, I just know some good places to get things where normal people can't get them)

16. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

Please don't spam smileys.

And you just copied Seph's text.

17. nomercy

nomercy Well-Known Member

Psst, he has oompa loompas running around. Funny little fellows who do anything for points. ;)

18. chivalricone

chivalricone Member

Yeah, if he told you, you could replicate Romulation's success, maybe even finding some way (I can't imagine how) to make it better, and, then, he'd be out of a job. But... I bet he has connections at the video game companies.

19. Seph

No they couldn't because they wouldn't be able to get the ROMs the same places I do. And I do not have connections at the video game companies no.

20. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

I also thought the same thing when I first came here along with the idea of the staff actually being the ones who did the ROM Dumps, but just like everyone else, we guessed wrong.