1. This forum is in read-only mode.

How seriously do you take dead pixels?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Void, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Void

Void Well-Known Member

This isn't really a conventional technical help question, I was just wondering how you guys feel about dead pixels. My Christmas monitor has a single dead pixel towards the top of the screen that I'll notice on occasion. I can't decide if it's worth the trouble of getting the parents involved to try to return it because there are more than a 2 million pixels on this thing, it's pretty tolerable. What are your experiences and opinions with purchasing monitors/dead pixels/returning monitors with dead pixels?

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

in my view, it depends where the dead pixel is. Bang in the middle of the screen is obviously a lot more of an issue than one almost on the screen border. However, age also comes into it, and in your case I would have to say send it back, because brand new monitors should not have dead pixels at all.

3. Jonez001

Jonez001 Well-Known Member

I played once on a screen where some pixels were delayed for some reason. So it had the color it supposed to had some seconds ago.

4. shredc0re

shredc0re Guest

Like Loony said, it depends on where the dead pixel is located.. But if I get more than one dead pixel on my screen I will consider sending it back to get it fixed or buy a new one.

5. Loonylion

thats refresh lag, it was a common problem with early LCDs. It's practically a non-issue these days.

6. Jonez001

Jonez001 Well-Known Member

* Jonez takes out his notebook and adds: 'Refresh Lag' *

It was kinda annoying but now I know the term... I can look for a fix when it happens again ^^

7. Loonylion

there isnt a fix, its a technological limitation of the early LCD displays. It doesn't happen any more because they've improved to the point at they refresh too quickly to be noticed.

8. shredc0re

shredc0re Guest

It's just the older screens that have a too low refresh rate, with the newer screens you don't get the problem anymore. And if you consider buying a LED screen, I'd suggest you wait until the end of 2012 before getting one because that technology is still in it's puppy shoes :)

9. Loonylion

the only different with LED is the backlight uses LEDs instead of a ccfl.

10. shredc0re

shredc0re Guest

I know, but the technology is far from decent. The OLEDs they are using in the latest screens are mostly underdeveloped and tend to have issues with the speed of the refresh rate, creating several problems such as problem Jonez had stated before.

11. Loonylion

the oleds have nothing to do with refresh rate, all they do is light up when the monitor is turned on and stay lit, they're a backlight, nothing more.

12. Void

Void Well-Known Member

Thanks for the opinions, I'll check up on the manufacturers policy