1. This forum is in read-only mode.

How many roms.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by acidhalo, Feb 15, 2008.

1. acidhalo

acidhalo New Member

About how many roms should I be able to fit onto 1gig?

2. Tboi

Tboi Well-Known Member

Depends on how much the ROM's size are.
    The sizes are about between 16 and 132MB but It can be lower or higher. the average is 32mb i think so that makes: 1000/32= ~Somewhat around 31

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

don't forget space for save files too, those are around 512kB per.

4. acidhalo

acidhalo New Member

Ok, thx for the info guys, I was just making sure my files werent too big. :)

5. Tboi

Tboi Well-Known Member

well, i didn't count the save files because even if you have like 15 save files that only
    15*0.512 mb = 7.68MB

6. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

Please do not use internet shorthand such as "thx".

[rules]: Read them.

7. DragonQuester

DragonQuester Well-Known Member

I think there is a way to trim roms, and make them smaller by getting rid of the useless screen, etc. I tried to use the program "Rom Trimmer" or something like that, but it did not work :p

8. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Trimmers can trim ROMs by getting rid of its redundant data but sometimes it's not good to do this. And the difference is only a few MB on most games.

9. Born2killx

Here's a fun little example I thought up.

You have a 2 quart carton and a 3 quart carton. You need to fill one carton with 2.5 quarts of milk. You can't fill up a 2 quart carton with 2.5 quarts of milk, so you use a 3 quart carton. There is .5 quart empty space in the carton. As for ROMs, when you dump it the empty space gets dumped as well, so there is a lot of redundant space in the ROM. When you trim a ROM, you get rid of the redundant data, as if you "cut" the carton so that it could hold all the milk without wasting any space.

If you trim a ROM, then it reduces its filesize so it is possible to store more ROMs in the microSD card.

10. anandjones

Yeah that's kinda of what I said but good example!

Yep okay understandable :p

11. Born2killx

I made it up to back up and explain your statement. ;D

12. DragonQuester

DragonQuester Well-Known Member

Lol thanks guys, I guess Rom Trimming isnt always great

13. mysticaloctopus

mysticaloctopus Well-Known Member

If you want to, go ahead and trim roms. Just remember not to go crying over spilt milk!

14. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I think you mean 'don't cry over missing data' :p

15. BloodVayne

BloodVayne Well-Known Member

Just wondering, how much space does rom trimming usually shave off? Does it just depend on the game or the trimming software as well?

16. anandjones

It normally shaves off about 5 MB or so. One time, I trimmed a game and it trimmed off 40 MB and it didn't work so yeah..

17. PhatomKids

PhatomKids Well-Known Member

I dont really like trimming much because who know what will happen when you trim your ds game

18. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

I don't advise trimming, because some people stare at you while you're playing in class....when the teacher isn't there, but really annoys me that they say I'm doing something illegal, I just simply reply:I'm just trying out games, I'll buy it if it's good ;D

19. PhatomKids

PhatomKids Well-Known Member

I would just reply them, at least i got them free. Mwhahahahaha. than they will all be like ........