1. This forum is in read-only mode.

How many games can I fit on a 2g micro sd?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by aimeelou49, Feb 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aimeelou49

aimeelou49 Member

I've just bought an R4 card for my son's DS for his birthday. He knows he's getting one but he doesn't know that it's arrived yet and that his poor old Mum (me) is trying to set it up for him so it's all ready to go on Tuesday.

He's compiled a list of games that he would like to put on his DS but I'm wondering just how many games approx. I will be able to fit on a 2g micro thingamy? (As you can tell by my terminology I'm a bit of a noob at this). Obviously, I know it depends on the size of the games but I don't want to needlessly downlolad a ton of games if I can't transfer all of them.

The sort of games he has written down are, Pokemon Diamond, Pearl & Platinum, Mario Kart DS, Dragon Quest, Football Director & Football Academy etc. I don't know how large these files are but I can't see me fitting about the 30 or so games he has listed, of that type, onto it.

Sorry to ask such an inane question, but I'm about as familiar with this as I am with open-heart surgery. Any help would be most appreciated. ???

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

At a rough estimate I would say 15-20. He will unfortunately have to wait for pokemon platinum, as it is not released for another month yet (unless he wants to try his luck with the japanese version).

3. monnas

monnas New Member

My daughter has 35 games on hers (2GB) but as you mentioned, it depends on the size of each game.
    Keep in mind not to load it to the hilt as the card creates a .sav file for each game when played in order to save game play data, these files are not big (around 512kb form memory) but 30 games would need 15mb free for .sav data.

Enjoy, he will love it and you will be the best Mum on earth that day ;D

4. aimeelou49

aimeelou49 Member

Oh if only that were true. I will possibly enjoy that status for around 20 minutes, until he finds a game that he can't master immediately - which of course means the R4 card isn't working properly and he must have ended-up with a fake one. At which point me and his Dad will look at each other and wonder why we bother!

5. pugmalion1

pugmalion1 Well-Known Member

Well, as for the games you listed, I'd estimate that trimmed they take up around 300mb of space. The Pokemon files can be fairly large, as can the Dragon quest games, but sports games tend to take up less memory. I suggest you download a ROM trimmer of some sort (I suggest this one: http://r4ds.cn/download/r4_rom_trim_tool.html). It will help you to squeeze a few more games onto that card by trimming out the excess memory from each game before you add it to the card. It's pretty easy to use, and the site gives you a step-by-step walkthrough.

Oh, and if your kid likes Dragon Quest and Pokemon, he might also like Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker. It's basically a Pokemon-type collecting and breeding game that takes place in the Dragon Quest universe. It's a little different from both of the franchises, but it's worth a shot.

Hey, it's free! What's the harm in trying.

6. aimeelou49

aimeelou49 Member

Thanks for the recommendation Pygmalion. Dragon Quest Monsters sounds right up his street. He's not into shoot-em-up games, so has no interest in things like Grand Theft Auto, which I'm pleased about. He also dislikes race against time games, but the above sounds great.

As for trimming. I haven't got a clue. I will visit the site you mentioned and I have a feeling there was either some software or a manual re trimming on the disc that came with the R4 card. I don't want to get ahead of myself though - it's a miracle I've got as far as I have (with more than a little help from this forum) :D

7. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Use TokyoTrim. Make sure to backup all your ROMs beforehand.

8. Wolfdemonpaw

Wolfdemonpaw Well-Known Member

digimon serise are good ds games there out in english or theres monster farm (monster rancher) altho the thing about those is as far as i know there no english / american verson only jap which anoys a lot of people but its easy to figger out.

9. aimeelou49

aimeelou49 Member

Digiman sounds good though I think I'll leave the Monster Farm. Knowing my son's propensity for getting 'annoyed' (you wouldn't believe the amount of times the DS or Wii have cheated against him just to make him lose on purpose) presenting him with a game in Japanese just might cause him to spontaneously combust!

10. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

Off topic: How old is your son?

11. Wolfdemonpaw

Wolfdemonpaw Well-Known Member

every game tends to cheat to get to player to lose... ive had it hapen to me meny a time as well lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.