1. This forum is in read-only mode.

How easy is it to set up the R4????

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by fitwind, May 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fitwind

fitwind Member

I was going to buy a new R4 card and try to set it up myself. I already have one and it is working, but I don't think it is done right. Plus it probably be good to have an extra one, just in case something happens with the old one. Is it as easy as putting games on it? and as easy as the dslazy/arm7 fix? ??? Is the R4 the best and easiest card to set up? Should I watch some You Tube videos showing me how? ::). I'm learning slowly.

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

They are not hard to do, but other cards have easiest firmware setups. Arm7 Patching is easy, but does not work 100% of the time on first tries.

Personally I would not get an R4 if I was buying a new card. If you can afford it, get a CycloDS (they are more expensive than other cards). If you would like a more competitively priced card, look at the Acekard2 or Edge, they are cheap (Price wise) and have good compatibility.

3. fitwind

fitwind Member

I did a read up on the CycloDS, that does sound like a nice card, basically a plug and play. Have you tried the CycloDS before? I will check out the Acekard2 and Edge too. Can I ask why you pefer these other cards, rather than the R4?

4. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

I personally own a CycloDS. I like it. But I know it's a lot more expensive than other cards and that's a major downside for most people (but worth it, in my opinion).

I prefer the other cards to the R4, and it's clones, because these other cards have much better support and ROM compatibility. If you get a better card, you will have less issues in the end, and it will be easier for you.

5. pat raimondo

pat raimondo Member

I have a original R4, and I love it!!, but if I had to do it again, I would go cyclosds for sure. especially since the fake r4's started floating around,

easiest way to get a R4 goin, ask a friend or someone on here, to make a copy of their card, then you dont have to get the action replay cheats, and all the other goodies in different spots,
    I would be glad to send anyone files they needed!!

6. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

If you do not want to invest in a CycloDS then I'd recommend getting an AceKard 2 instead. Although I'm a member of the "I had a CycloDS flashcart" club as well. :)

7. fitwind

fitwind Member

Where is the best place to buy the CycloDS card and Sd card? I would like something that will have less problems. I haven't had any major problems with the R4 that I have other than the save data problem which the dslazy/arm7 solved, and I am not to techno. Does the Cyclos DS have that same problem?

8. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

cycloDS does not need arm7 patching.

9. hurl3y1nt

hurl3y1nt Member

I bought my 8GB sandisk SD card on ebay for $24AUD so definately check ebay for the best prices.

10. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

You may have to ARM7 patch for it, it's not impossible that you will ever avoid having to with the Cyclo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.