1. This forum is in read-only mode.

How easy is it to put update my R4?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by fitwind, May 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fitwind

fitwind Member

I have a R4 ds I have had it for quite awhile now. This was all set up and had games on it. I have noticed that some new games are not able to play on it because of "unable to access the save data". From what I have read I really need to download the newest version of firmware for my card. How easy is this to do, I don't want to mess it up and have it play no games on it my daughter would be very upset. Do I have to take of the games I already have on the card? What do I take of the card? Do I just copy the new files to card or is there a certain place? Or should I just buy the newest R4 I am sorry for all this stupid questions I am not a techno minded person so to speak. I almost need a step by step instructions, basically I am scared to mess with it, I have read the step by step process posted on here.

2. miros

miros Well-Known Member

Sure, first you download the latest firmware, V1.18, (http://www.r4ds.cn/download/r4ds.html) Then plug in your MicroSD card and bring up the folders, files, ect. Find the folder that has the old firmware (should have two files _DS_MENU.DAT and _DS_MSHL.NDS.) and delete the folder. DO NOT DELETE ANY OTHER FOLDERS OR FILE, AS THAT COULD POTENTIALLY ERASE THE SAVES OR GAMES. Replace the firmware you deleted with the one you downloaded and BAM! You will now have an updated R4 card. If there is still confusion, do not hesitate to ask, as I or someone else would hopefully be able to clarify any inquiries.
    miros

3. fitwind

fitwind Member

Thanks, I will give that a try, .....sounds easy enough.

4. miros

miros Well-Known Member

GOOD LUCK!!!
    miros

5. rush n kaos

rush n kaos Well-Known Member

actually, don't delete the "_system_" folder as the updates won't have the "THEME" folders inside which holds all the backgrounds and visuals you see when you boot it up and select games. i haven't tried, but not having it may, at the very least, make it REALLY hard to tell where the buttons are. instead, as he said, just drag and drop the new firmware into the R4

inside the update, there will be 4 items:
    _DS_MENU.DAT
    _DS_MSHL.NDS,
    _system_
    moonshl

move all those into the card, and say yes to replacing files

6. fitwind

fitwind Member

Okay, I will do this tonight when I get home, I will let you know how it goes = )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.