1. This forum is in read-only mode.

How does this site exist?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HunterKiller_, Aug 2, 2010.

1. HunterKiller_

HunterKiller_ Member

Hi forum

This is the question that has whetted my curiosity. (I have searched, didn't find the answer.)

This site has a huge collection of ROMs, even the latest DS games. What's more, this site is technically making
    money off the downloads (points system). And I found this place from a Google search, first result.

How has this site not been raped to a bloody pulp by Nintendo and friends???

2. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Seph pays the bills with adds and donations.

Besides, the points have nothing to do with money. :p

3. bhatooth

bhatooth Well-Known Member

it has been raped and robbed till all ds roms are gone

4. unqiueninja

unqiueninja Well-Known Member

But it is still there *Wink*

5. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

And will be till Seph sys so.

[me=ace1o1]hopes it will be a LONG time[/me]

6. bhatooth

bhatooth Well-Known Member

7. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Nintendo can shove their DS Games down their throat & choke 'til they die for all I care :p

But let our retro ROMs go! <- The Ten Commandments movie reference LOL!

Seriously, as if many of the current generation of gamers care about Atari 2600, NES or even SNES games for crying out load.

8. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

But Nintendo is still making money off of them...so that's why they care.

9. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

they stopped selling retro games.
    they won't get money if you buy it second handed.

10. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

Snes was the best generation ever, its a shame kids wont get the chance to play those awesome games.
    All abandonware should be free and legal to download

11. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

That's not what I mean.

Virtual Console on the Wii is how they're making money off of the retros. :p

That would take the fun out of it though. :)

12. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Through the Virtual Console? Yes... but they do not offer pre-translated Japanese games :p So if you buy something like Seiken Densetsu 3 for the VC it'll still be in Japanese, so where's the fun in that? :p

If they're gonna sell old games, they better hell do it right :p

The thing is, some people are into sites like RomUlation for Fan Translations & not just for free games.

13. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

That would be nice if they actually translated the games, and yes, I know people are here for Fan Translations. :)

I used to download like mad, but I have actually stopped for now. :p

14. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Same here, I've stopped after I completed my retro library (NES, Genesis, SNES, N64, GB-GBC & GBA). But there are times when I do download a few games often when a new fan translation is out or when I need to square off my files. I really hate having non-rounded off files (files that are not in tens) so I sometimes download to square my list off.

15. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

What no Atari, Master System or Turbo Duo? For shame Cahos for shame!

Hell anymore NDS games are few an far between and I say it will all fade out after 3DS starts gaining ground like 8months to a year after its launch.

I have other sources for new games esp for my Jtag XBOX 360 hell if I can't download them I can go rent and rip so I shouldn't miss out on anything for quite a while on it.

16. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

We arent. you're paying for the bandwidth you use. It's an important distinction, we're selling bandwidth not games.

17. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Yeah I know :( But the thought of E.T. for the Atari 2600 just scares me off of the system altogether LOL!

As for Turbo Duo & the Master System, I haven't actually played games for those really.

18. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but the whole point of buying the bandwidth is to download more games. It's not really buying games since really all you have to do is wait and you can download any game currently on the site without premium, It's not really buying games, it's more so buying access to more games at a time.

Even though buying bandwidth and games are a different distinction, i doubt it would matter much if it were brought into a court of law, well it depends, in the US it most likely wouldn't matter, but in some countries i'm think downloading things like games are legal, guess it all depends.

19. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

Ah, well really your not missing out on much on Atari as most of the good stuff got ported and I actually meant PC Engine/Turbo Grafx 16 I had Duo on the brain for some reason, but the Duo has a few good stuff on it as well.

20. HunterKiller_

HunterKiller_ Member

It is a shame. My 12 year old brother thinks that '2D games are stink'. Tsk tsk, there's no hope for this generation.