1. This forum is in read-only mode.

How does "The Scene" work?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by necr0, Feb 27, 2012.

1. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

So.

Exactly how do rom sites (such as this one) get their roms?
    I know this one gets it from affiliates but where do they get theirs? From their affiliates? If so, where do those affiliates get their roms?

So, exactly how does the scene work. Release groups do whatever to games and release it, but to where?
    A "Scene" server?

I am wondering this because, well, I just am.

Hopefully someone can help.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

seph has a pretty good breakdown of this already written on the forum somewhere.

3. Jonez001

Jonez001 Well-Known Member

http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=395.0

Loony are you talking about this topic? It has a part of how NDS roms get dumped & scened ... If I am not mistaken?

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

yep I think that's it.

5. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

6. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

To answer the question of, "to where do the people involved in the scene upload or distribute their ROM Dumps?", I do recall back in 2008 the very same question was asked & seph answered that the majority of ROMs & ISOs that were being gathered for RomUlation's library come from a private FTP site that only people like him are privy too.

7. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

This is probably the best breakdown.
    So, the roms are distributed to a FTP site that Seph has access to, and then he downloads one, and then uploads it to the RomUlation server?

8. athemoe

I don't think he has access to the core.

9. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

So who does...?

10. athemoe

The dumpers (eg sweetnds, suxxors, venom, ...)

11. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

So... how do people get those roms?

12. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

By knowing people. Essentially the whole thing comes down to who you know and who you know depends on your skill set or what you can provide people. The scene is a trade of information, data and skills, if you can provide something that other people can't then you can get access.

And no I'm not really involved with it at all, just before people get any crazy thoughts.

13. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Ok. Thanks for that
    So, I have a brother who works at EB Games and I get a few pre-releases to test out.
    Just to give them ideas and such.

Say, when I got those games, I dumped them, would I be able to join the scene?

14. Seph

In theory yes, but it takes times to get trust and contacts. You might be able to join a low level group and get a bit of access but it'll take you years to work your way into it. For many people in the scene it's a lifestyle, not really something they just do on the side.

15. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Wow. Years is a long time!
    So... you don't have to answer if you don't want to, but how did you get your contacts and how can I get some?

16. Seph

I downloaded my first game when I was 12 back when it wasn't just posted on various sites or torrent trackers. I'm now 23. 11 years is a long time to get to know some people.

17. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Same here. I downloaded my first game when I got an R4.
    So... say I starred dumping games, how would I be able to contact "The Scene"?

18. Seph

Can't tell been away for too long.

19. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

i have two "functioning" kidneys.
    if a "member" of "the scene" was suffering from CKD and I donated him a kidney would i then be considered part of "the scene"?

20. hell_freezer

hell_freezer Member

"off course".
    LOL