1. This forum is in read-only mode.

How does AP work?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by frebels, Apr 6, 2010.

1. frebels

frebels Well-Known Member

Since romulation hosts clean roms only which identical to the original. I fail to understand how you don't get the AP on the original but you get it on rom? I'm not here to whine about it by any means i'm just wondering does the AP get made to not match the flashcards or something?

2. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

Ap's are made to let the gamer buy the game.
    Game makers and publicers are very angry at people who are hacking/uploading/downloading their games.
    They make AP's so you would be impatient and because you are impatient you will buy the game :)

3. will1008

will1008 Well-Known Member

..but it never really works thanks to hackers (although they made a good job on Pokemon HG/SS. It made some of the others insane.
    I meant it didn't stop others from playing the game.

4. athemoe

Uhm, yes they do.

All the older roms didn't have a AP.
    The first AP that I ever had was in March 2009 (GTA:CW)
    And the first AP that was annoying was the AP of M&L: Bowsers Inside Story

5. frebels

Not ecsacly what i meant i mean how does it WORK.

6. klaimore

klaimore Well-Known Member

He's asking why carts can run cleanly, but dumped roms cannot.

7. frebels

8. athemoe

I think that the hackergroups (eg xpa) must patch their games before it will work.
    But they won't do it (I don't know why).

9. Loerch

Loerch Member

Just like the 1.4 Firmware for the DSi detected the flashcard (remember the workaround is that the dsi thinks that the flashcard is a retail game), the AP notices the Flashcard and tells the game to not work, that's why it was fixed by firmware updates before the ap was fixed.

10. OXOBloxo

OXOBloxo Well-Known Member

I dont know the exact mechanics of it, but the rom contains a piece of code that checks anything on the cart that will show up a different result between original game cart and flashcart, like a value in memory, number or free space count on the original game card which the game comany has found to be diffrerent on flashcards,

So If flashcard test above is positive then the game will freeze or make enemys invincible or whatever fly in the ointment!!!

11. frebels

ahh now thats an answer