1. This forum is in read-only mode.

How does a ROM get dumped?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by sirchewie, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sirchewie

sirchewie Active Member

I know nothing about how roms get dumped. All i know is that someone actually has to buy the game, i think, and then it magically appears on the internet. What's the process involved?

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

The only equipment you really need is the same equipment needed to play games on your DS.

Slot 1 device and a Slot 2 device like EZFlash 3 in 1. Then a nifty little program you can download from linfoxdomain.

Insert flashcart
    Run the program
    Insert the Slot 1 Game (actual game cartridge)
    Dumps the image to Slot 2
    Insert flashcart again
    Copies data from Slot 2 to a file on your flashcart.

You now have a copy of the game cartridge stored on the microSD in your cart.

3. harjaz

harjaz Well-Known Member

would the ez flash have enough space to hold the dump of a larger game? wouldn't you need a slot-2 flashcart with larger storage for that?

4. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

You'd need a slot 2 cart with space enough to hold the ROM, that can be anywhere from 16 MB to 256 MB. Alternatively you can dump it via wifi, this does not require a slot 2 cart.

Read more here: http://www.monroeworld.com/myfaq/index.php?action=artikel&cat=7&id=85&artlang=en

Also, if you have a dump that's unreleased then PM me.

5. sirchewie

sirchewie Active Member

thats pretty cool, for some reason i thought it would be more complicated than that. have there been any games that have been created in a way specifically to make them hard to copy?

6. TirithRR

I haven't heard of any copy protection on the games yet.

But some games do have coding inside them that tries to detect whether it's not an actual cartridge, and locks up when playing, or causes different things to happen so you cannot progress.

Games like:
    Chrono Trigger DS (neverending warp scenes)
    Dragon Quest V (multiple places in the story never continue, leaving you stuck.)
    The FF Crystal Chronicle Games (First one has a mog pop up that doesn't let you continue, second one won't save).

These aren't protection against copying, but they are protection against playing the copies. The protection isn't 100% though, and usually gets bypassed about 24 hours after the release.

7. knightmare235

knightmare235 Well-Known Member

Well this is a bit off topic but (if its possible) can you convert PC games to work on a flashcard. Example would be Streets of Rage Remake is on PC but runs like a Genesis game and I have a Genesis Emulator on my flashcard. Now would it be possible to run that game on my DS and if so what would be the steps?

8. TirithRR

Short answer:
    No

(Long answer involves much explanation that isn't worth it, and includes exceptions for the Commodore 64 emulator, but still ends in No)

9. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

There exists hardware of doing it connected via Cartridge USB.

10. Yarukinasu

Yarukinasu Well-Known Member

Just asking but, can you also like take out or back up your save files from your original game card? Like I want to copy my save files from my Guitar Hero On Tour and put it on the flashcart but I dunno how...

11. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Yes. There should be a tutorial for that on Monroe world (above).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.