1. This forum is in read-only mode.

How do YOU play videos on your DS?

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by aciddream, Aug 26, 2007.

1. aciddream

aciddream Member

This is part survey and part questions:
    Got me a new crimson red DS lite and a R4 revolution W/ 2 Gid card in the mail (on it's way).
    I've downloaded the new english 1.11 firmware to put on the card after I format it to FAT32.

I already have DownloadHelper extension for firefox to capture flash vids (.FLV) files.
    What converter/encoder do you use to change them to DPG files? I didn't see one on the R4 site.
    I may be jumping the gun here and it's on the disk enclosed w/ R4???
    Can you convert other video formats: MPG, AVI, WMV ?
    Once converted all you have to do is put the files in the root folder on the MicroSD or (if preferred) in a folder you created in the root folder.

Sorry if it's a lot of question, most could be answered if I exhibited patience and waited until I had all equipment and started testing/troubleshooting. Honestly I wanted to see what all was involved, which converters were prefered and get a head start on it.

2. tapwatah

tapwatah Well-Known Member

There is no FLV to DPG converter. Here-
    Mirror- http://down.gbalpha.com/Softwares/M3adapter/M3DS_Simply/M3DS_Simply_ISO20070115.zip

Then go to where it says "moonshell" or some abreviation of it and go to "DPG tools". Use "dpgenc" to convert avi, mpeg, mpg, and divx files to dpg. As for .flv to dpg, use a converter like the one below to convert it to .avi to .dpg

http://www.download.com/Riva-FLV-Encoder/3000-2140-10320097.html?part=dl-RivaFLVEn&subj=dl&tag=button

You're welcome.

3. myuusmeow

myuusmeow Active Member

With FFDShow ( http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm ), and BatchDPG, you can convert .flv files.

4. aciddream

aciddream Member

Thank you both!
    I've got the dpgenc.exe doing a conversion now. I also took a look at the BatchDPG converter. I may do some comparison between the two in the future. I'll install the .flv converter shortly.
    So I'm assuming the files you copy (from the 1.11 folder) to the R4 is some version of MoonShine that's been edited / maintained by the makers of the R4? If this is correct then nothing else is needed to get the files up and running.

5. aciddream

aciddream Member

Problems:
    I decided to question here before starting a new post.
    Got my card and everything works fine except when I play videos.
    The video jumps from the top screen to the bottom screen. When it jumps to the bottom screen (touch screen) it displays the file info and progression. I couldn't find any settings to choose display screen and it seems to do it at random intervals no matter if it was a low quality video that was converted or a high quality (large mpg) conversion.
    Is this a prone issue with the converter.

Once again thanks for all the support.

6. tapwatah

Whoa... this isn't and issue with the converter. DPG files have no settings or data that determines if it will be on the top or bottom screen on a DS.

7. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

well i also have the same problem....its kindda ruin the mood when you are so into the movie....

8. xinglee

xinglee New Member

There is also another way to play videos, with higher quality, but unfortunately a bigger file size. The program is made by the same people who made moonshell,, and it is called dsmplay, which plays .dsm videos. Heres the link and instructions on converting files (comes with converter) is on the site: http://mdxonline.dyndns.org/archives/2007/07/dsmplay_ver07_eng.shtml

If your converting .flv files you could use the program Riva Flv Encoder, and on the output name, rename the end to .avi or.mpeg

9. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

riva will convert to .flv from avi or mpeg. It will not output any other format.

10. tapwatah

Ouch.

11. aciddream

aciddream Member

Yes it will,
    When you select the input video as a .flv in the output directory below where it automatically shows the output file as a .flv change that output file to an avi or mpeg and it will convert it to that format.
    I know it doesn't say anything on the encoder instructions about this but I found it out on multiple forums and I've converted about 12 youtube vids to mpg. This way I can have a more common format to use in converters for my Wii, DS, etc.