1. This forum is in read-only mode.

How do you play RPG? Habit.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jacoblam365, Nov 14, 2007.

1. jacoblam365

jacoblam365 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone. I was browsing through the forum and came across the game help section. This thought just came across my mind. I was wondering what's your habit of playing RPG? How often do you talk to the NPC (computer characters that stand around)? are you those type that like to rush and try to finish everything quickly and don't bother talking to anyone doesn't look important? I am curious as to if this have any thing to do with generation? age? habit?

I myself is a Final Fantasy Fan since the beginning when Nintendo is either the japanese red/white or the american grey box. (as you can guess, my age range will be in the late 20s - 27, from Canada) I always play RPG the same way by talking to everyone. so i probably read almost 100% of the dialogue programmed by the storyteller of the game. it became a habit that if i don't do it, i feel i didn't finish the game. sometime when something big happened, like the town burned. i'll have to talk to everyone in that town again. eventhough they don't look important. Maybe it is this habit that i rarely stuck in RPG games. (except for some secret that i may miss. those usually rarely in the dialogue like scouting secret members)

what about you? If you can please post your age range too and your demographic. (not sure if that will help me understand a little bit, just want to do some statistic - never know what will come out until you try)

ps. how do you put up a voting chart?

2. daZee0410

daZee0410 New Member

Hey, I'm a white male, and my rpg habits are pretty similar to yours (as far as I can tell). I tend to talk to EVERYBODY, especially because of the rewards it gives sometimes. I really like to get into the story, especially in games like Final Fantasy. It almost becomes like reading a book instead of playing the game, with combat on the side. I tend to try to get 100% completion on a game, even if it looks almost impossible (which it usually does). Oh, and btw, I'm 18 years old.

Peace

3. mrfatso

mrfatso Well-Known Member

i just talk to everyone, and do my best for the minigames, i even have my own formula for rpg games, 5 level per town, or 10 level per boss, so i will always be over-level, not much use if the boss level with u though like lunar legend: silver star.

4. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

I'm 28, Filipino, based here in Manila The Philippines & I'm worse than you, not only do I speak to every freakin' NPC in an RPG, weither be it human, animal (especially chickens, I love pesterin' Chicken NPCs hehe) or whatever, I also "examine" every freakin' thing in it trees, plants, vases, shadows of buildings EVERY FREAKIN THING!!! Why you ask, some RPGs reward your valiant search by rewarding you with items (most of which you can probably buy in any shop, though sigh) but sometimes you get lucky & find stuff you can only get by doing so, for example the item "Left Overs" in Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green which you can only get if you use the key item "itemfinder" in the exact location where the snorlaxes are sleeping!

To bad the younger gamers & newbies to RPGs can't appreciate the fun of talking to strangers in an even stranger world, who think you're cooler than any ol' faggy boy band or more powerful than Donald Trump hehehe ;D ;D ;D

5. mrfatso

pokemon is the best example to teach players to interfact with everything, even the ground , haiz

6. CainMasters

CainMasters Well-Known Member

nah I'd say the newer(remade 1-3 and so on) dragon quests are better in that case(though children should know that it ain't nice to look into other peoples drawers or cupboards)

I for once think that playing an RPG includes reading/listening to what others have to say at least knowing the storyline is a must.

7. Void

Void Well-Known Member

I'm 16, with self-diagnosed OCD. :p
    I can't play an RPG without talking to everyone, or I get really aggitated. It kind of sucks. :p

8. mrfatso

lol, o ya, nearly forgotten about the whole looking in cupboard thing, kinda like in Lunfia where u check people's cupboard, break their barrels just to loot what? A few gold coins? or a measly potion?

9. sesa

sesa Well-Known Member

Im the same exept I got to have a perfect game w/o help and I must be quick( I dislike maxxed time). Usually can't do it on my first time around but for games I really like I can perfect files w/o guilds and maxxed clock(especial now cuz they don't max at 99:99)

10. O_exe

O_exe Member

I tend to talk to everyone/thing since they might give you an item (Chocobo Stable in FF7 anyone?). Of course that doesn't mean I play the game with every character. I tend to beat it once or twice with a few of my favorites. Usually a 100% will do unless it's not worth it. I wouldn't mind beating some at the lowest possible levels either, though I haven't attempted this.

What I enjoy is collecting all of the weapons though. It's a shame some are significantly stronger than others, making it optimal to choose them over nicer looking weapons you might have grown comfortable with.

Age range-1 to 100.

On forums I believe those are called "polls". There doesn't seem to be the option when creating a new topic, so I'm afraid a more experienced user or admin/mod will have to help you there.

11. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Hoe about replay value guys? Once you've finished a particular game do you play it again, & again & again, & uh... you get the picture.

For instance, I played FFV for 7 times now 3 times on the SNES, 3 times on PSone & 1 time on zsnes, kind of a loser ain't I? HEHEHE ;D :) ;D

12. Reider

Reider Modereider

It really depends on the game :p

If it's a game with lots of replayability (see: Chrono Trigger) I tend to go through it a few times to get all the endings.

There are those occasional games that I enjoy enough to play through again after awhile, like Final Fantasy IX though.

13. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Thank god a lot of you here still remember & love the glory days of Nintendo's 16-bit era!!! :) :)

I've seen many of you post comments on oldies like Chrono Trigger & Lufia, especially Lufia! I yhoght I was the only one who loved the Lufia world. Well here in the Philippines I think I'm the only one coz, most people here know only of the Final Fantasy series! Duh?!

BTW can I add that most of the other rpgs for the SNES that were in japanese that never landed in US & European soil have been translated by guys known as "rom-hackers" & are already available out there in the net but most of them only give out patches for games containing the translations, coz rom downloads are illegal duh!?

I wish I could post their web address here but that could get me banned from romulation & that would make me sad, coz it's very very fun here :) :)

14. CainMasters

translated roms eh?

what if I tell you that most of the members here already knew about that.(btw I also translated some but mostly from english to german as it is a hell of a lot of work to translate from japanese if you do not lnow it)

I do agree with you that it makes you kinda happy to know you are not the only one to see the beauty of old rpgs.

15. Reider

Reider Modereider

I've posted a couple of translated ROMs in the Trading Section before :p

I think the most recent one was Super Robot Wars 3 for the SNES.

16. CainMasters

nah that`s one of the oldest translations i know.

a newer one is metal max 2 on snes

17. Reider

Reider Modereider

I played through that one already though, and I had just recently started playing SRW3 :p

I think the only translations I'm waiting for right now are Emerald Dragon and the Breath of Fire II translation since the current translation isn't exactly that great.

18. CainMasters

I played SRW3 alredy through and now I'm waiting for SRW alpha and SRW alpha gaiden wich are great(but not translated)

19. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Aha! So there are people here who like turn based strategy games after all!!

I'm a big Srw series fan myself!!!

There's another post somewhere from a guy who likes Front Mission do you guys like thta series too? btw, I was the only one who reacted on his post, poor guy :)

20. CainMasters

well there were posts about front mission before that one believe me.

Turnbased strategy rpgs are cool and right now I'm waiting for front mission: border of madness and fire emblem on the ds.

As for srw I and hen were the only two on the (my) post about srw :(
    (I think it's still somewhere in the general discussion section)