1. This forum is in read-only mode.

How do you guys take care of your eyes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by XD9999, Aug 27, 2008.

1. XD9999

XD9999 Well-Known Member

Im having trouble with my eyes, it seems that my right eye is not as well as my left eye. With only a distance of 5 meters, things become a bit blurry. I assume this probably because of my negligence from playing a bit too much. Anyway i would like to ask you guys what do you do to take care of your eyes so that they dont get injured or something. any pointers? like after playing for 15 hours what are the things you must NEVER do?

2. 4ds

4ds Well-Known Member

well for starters stop playing after that long 15 hours lol and go out enjoy the world
    look at green stuff like the trees and the leaves and the grass and blink your eyes remember its important to BLINK^_^

3. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

You don't ask "How do I take care of my eyes after staring at an LCD screen for 15 hours straight". The answer to that is obvious.

Don't play video games for 15 hours straight!

4. XD9999

XD9999 Well-Known Member

a more descriptive answer would be nice...really nice :D

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

look out a window for 10 minutes every couple of hours.

6. grimsim1

grimsim1 Well-Known Member

wow..playing straight for fifteen hours? You trying to break the world record or something?
    I don't think I've ever played that long. My longest is probably three to four hours. Go outside man, take a nap, see the world. That will help a lot. But it sounds like your eyes are seriously damaged. Once they are damaged you cannot heal it back I don't think. Might need glasses.

7. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

By right you should stop for at least 15 minutes every 2 hours of staring at the screen. Also while resting, look at green objects especially plants. It has been known to relax the eyes.

8. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Coming from someone with inborn eye problems, here's a few tips:

Don't wash your face or even take a bath after hours of hardcore gaming or movie marathon watching.

Leave at least an hour of rest, before you wet your eyes.

Follow the good lighting rule, you may think it's kewl to have a dark or dimmed crib, but it's not for your eyes. When you're working (on a PC, or with pen or paper), make sure you put adequate lighting on the side your used to. If you're a lefty, have lighting coming from your left, & if you're a righty from your right.

Have a regularly scheduled eye check-up to evaluate your eyes' health.

9. n0thealthy

n0thealthy Well-Known Member

As loonylion said, every hour or so look out of a window at a distant point for a few minutes. And always play in a well lit room.

10. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

i believe an exercise to strengthen your eyes is to change your point of focus from far to close over and over for a few minutes every so often. not sure but heard about it from someone with eye problems. also dimming your monitor and or tv slightly just enough that it doesnt look like a friggin lighthouse beacon. most standard settings are like that for sharpness of color or some crap, plus it burns them out sooner? i would say use daylight color lamps because they simulate real light. and open the blinds during the day to let sunlight in, saves money as well. then there is everybody elses ideas, blinking less tv/games/reading and writing "at a time, but not overall except your 15hrs, thats sick(obsessive)" vitamins, checkups and i believe glasses progressivly worsen your eyesight "ask a doctor, i'm not sure"

don't look into the sun... and try to travel around a little in the dark? that definatly helps your night vision. other than that i'm not sure. resting your eyes is probably the biggest thing. wouldn't want to use any other muscle for so long a period, without resting.

11. Loonylion

I've worn glasses all my life and I don't think it makes eyesight worse. I also have a daylight bulb and it's awesome.

12. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

how often do they stregnthen your perscription? it may be because of eyes worsening or because of the way glasses work. plus they're never perfectly clean which slightly distorts your vision and makes your eyes have to compensate.

Edit: and scratches on glasses, although my left eye has a floater "small hardened speck or something inside that can be seen by me as a tiny tiny speck, doctors can see it with tools, very common. and my right eye has a scratched cornea which i can on occasion see almost invisible squiggly lines here and there." so don't know if eyes have to compensate for that.

13. Loonylion

no idea, I haven't been to an optician in 3 years. don't think my prescription has been changed in the last 5 though

14. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

you should go. but anyway, i did enough chitty chatty so i'm popping out of the topic. see ya.

15. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Well I don't take too much care for my eyes, but I do know when enough IS enough. Every hour, you should rest or close your eyes for a few minutes, or go outside and let the air breathe your eyes out. And don't stay close to the TV. The only problems with my eyes is that when I'm in sunlight or sunlight through clouds, my right eye always squinches and sometimes my right eye always blinks randomly without my left eye, and sometimes it goes bung.

16. Gietz

Gietz Well-Known Member

Earlier this year a buddy of mine had a smash meet, and we played smash till like 6am. And that was from about noon. We pretty much only stopped playing for pizza, getting more soft drink or toilet breaks. :D

17. sobatose

sobatose New Member

play video games with the light on... thats something my dad use to tell me all the time

18. grimsim1

grimsim1 Well-Known Member

Hahaha..wow dude. That's intense. But its cool. Wish I had time to play for that long. ;D What's smash by the way??

19. Gietz

Gietz Well-Known Member

Super Smash Bros. Melee/Brawl

Yeh. We saw the sun rising and we thought, shit better get some sleep. About 2 hours later we were playing again. 8)

20. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

I know when enough is enough (Based on personal judgement...something you don't seem to have...)

Longest I've been playing games was Kingdom Hearts II-18 hours straight o.o of course bathroom breaks, and eating.... but i did take a small break every hour and stared at my blanket for three or something minutes...

It was a GREEN blanket, and it is proven that staring at something green will refresh your eyes (Like black boards, and why they are green.)