1. This forum is in read-only mode.

How do u Use Computer Monitor as a TV for the Wii.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by robolink, Mar 15, 2010.

1. robolink

robolink Well-Known Member

I have this amazing computer monitor but a terrible TV at the moment, I wish to use my computer monitor for playing my Wii, watching TV with it isn't necessary but I really want to play my Wii on it.

Can somebody give me the ways of going about doing such a thing? what wires or whatever I shall need.

2. D_C

D_C Member

You'll most probably need a Wii VGA or DVI cable. Google both DVI and VGA and compare them with what you have on the back of your monitor. I can't remember if there is an official cable, but I'm sure there are plenty of third party ones out there.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

HDMI can be converted to DVI with a cable, (Providing your monitor is HDCP compatible), composite, as I believe the wii uses, requires a composite-VGA converter box, such as this one: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=217685

4. robolink

I took a look at the box and several like it, I also came across a 3rd party Wii VGA cable. Here are links to the two things I think are best so far. A expert opinion on which one would cause the least problem for me would be great.

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77946

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=74868

I need an easy way to hook up my PC external speakers as well so basically the easiest route with the highest quality would be great. I read it all but I cant decide really.

5. jargus

jargus New Member

You could use an easycap. Its a USB device that you can plug your console into. I got mine a year ago for 15$

6. robolink

I looked up easycap right now for the wii and it seems a bit confusing, Not sure if thats what I am looking for but if that would allow me to do what I need to do for cheap and I can buy it at some electronic store instead of online that would rock.

A little more detail on how the easycap works for you would be great, thanks.

I apologize for being slow.

7. jargus

jargus New Member

Basically, its a small USB adatper that you plug your red white and yellow cables into. Theres all kinds of media players and software that can play it in realtime. Media Player Classic, VLC, KMP alll work. Theres lightweight video software like hontestech or roxio VHS to DVD that works great with it. Theres many similar that you could probly find at a store.

8. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

I've got a VGA box that uses the three cords that come with your Wii.

I can also hook up HDMI to DVI via the monitor and I use strictly the video for my PS3. I still have to use the VGA box for the audio though... :(

9. robolink

I heard the ones that run through your computer lag from having to load into your hardrive then pass into the monitor instead of directly the monitor. Tell me if you use your easycap to play console games as well and not for recording stuff or something. If so I would like to know if it plays perfectly without any lag or out of sync load times or something weird that Ive heard online.

If its good then I shall pick myself up one, seems the easiest way so far.

10. jargus

jargus New Member

The lag depends on the software you use. Depending on how good your computer is you might get lag if you record. The software I used gives no lag.