1. This forum is in read-only mode.

How do teach small kids spelling and basic finger counting?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by unqiueninja, Aug 4, 2010.

1. unqiueninja

unqiueninja Well-Known Member

Hi, as the title states , how do i teach kids that are 8 years old spelling and basic finger counting? I am a new tutor and got this student which is a slow learner ;D So need some help here ;D

2. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

I can't really help, but I'm sure there are book in your local library about this.

3. unqiueninja

Local library? We live in the same country ;D You should know the education system here haha

4. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

Oh.
    Singapore eh.
    Then don't go to your local library.

5. unqiueninja

I knew it ;D Then what should I do? I teach them simple finger counting up to 5 they know. After that they confused...

6. sylky0604

sylky0604 Well-Known Member

Make a counting song and sing it over and over and over again. When you walk count the steps with them.

Make it fun.

7. unqiueninja

;D

8. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

If she/he is good at mimicking you, you can show colors and call them out and see if they will repeat it back to you, then after a bit show them again and ask if they know what this color is? same works for counting if they can get up to five then don't go over 10 for a bit I had to work with an autistic child at one time, and patience is a virtue plus I am teaching my 1yr old right now who is already too smart for his own good he is trying his best but its usually ends up with him grabbing a color and act like he is asking me what it is and he will mimic me counting on my fingers.

Oh and don't "overload" them I would start off at the most 20min sections like 10mins here and 10mins there take a break and try it again and like Miss G said make it fun. 1 on 1 is easier than trying to do a group but it can be done.