1. This forum is in read-only mode.

how do i open a .rar file

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by bdog2727, May 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bdog2727

bdog2727 Well-Known Member

hello i am computer impaired and i need help.

i downloaded a game off this site but it is in .rar format and whenever i try to open it, it sends me to a screen that says i can either open using a program or save file. i have no clue of what to do now . someone please help me

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php?topic=3880.0

3. rush n kaos

rush n kaos Well-Known Member

the .RAR file is like an "advanced" version of a ZIP file and is not the game. the game ends with .NDS

what you do is download either the WinRAR trial (later it says you have to register AKA pay up, but it also allows you to skip that) or download 7ZIP (which is free, safe, and works really well, it's what i got).

then right click, extract it somewhere you can find easily (i put it right on the desktop) and then stick the resulting .NDS file into your flashcard, load it up with emulator, whatever you happen to be using. any more questions just ask away ;)

edit: plus check that thread as well

4. bdog2727

now it sent me a message saying:

Windows cannot open this file:
    File: (place game here)
    To open this file, windows needs to know what problem you want to use to open it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs that are installed on your computer
    now what do i do?

5. rush n kaos

did you download one of the suggested files yet? if so, then right click the .RAR file and scroll down to "Extract" (for WinRAR i think) or scroll down to "7-ZIP" and then hit extract (for 7ZIP) and choose a destination to put them (or drag and drop them out)
    if you haven't got it yet, you have to download one of them cause Windows itself can't open up a .RAR file

6. lokiden

lokiden Member

Go to Google and type in WINRAR DOWNLOAD and install it. This will unpack your .rar file.

7. bdog2727

yea i did all that i converted it to an NDS file and i double click it then it sends me that message

8. rush n kaos

okay, to play the game you need one of two things; an emulator, or a flashcard. Cause Windows is obviously not gonna promote this kind of stuff by allowing files like that to open. do you have either one of those two things?

9. bdog2727

im not sure. give me the name of one and ill download it

10. TirithRR

https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php?topic=1535.0

11. bdog2727

okay so i downloaded an emulator (NDeSmeME), i opened the game and now nothing is happening

12. TirithRR

Why did you choose that one? It's not even the highest rated on that list...

Here, use this one:
    http://nds-gamers.webs.com/downloads.htm

It's pretty much the best one available.

13. bdog2727

this one works but am i able to record it w/ fraps and or camstudio?

14. TirithRR

Fraps records your video card output, so it should be able to record anything on your computer.

15. bdog2727

yea but the fps # dosent show up in the corner

16. TirithRR

Hmm. Don't know, I've never used FRAPS. Figured you could set it up to record anything.

Probably have to look in the FRAPS help files.

17. bdog2727

you should use it. it is by far the best recorder out there but it still has many flaws

18. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

fraps only records direct3d applications.

19. bdog2727

so... what does that mean?

20. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

means you can't use fraps because as far as I know emulators use opengl. Try camtasia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.