1. This forum is in read-only mode.

How do I get started...? I'm new :)

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Nilsan, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nilsan

Nilsan Member

Hi.
    I'm a real newbie, have never downloaded a game before so I need some help.

I've got a DS and I bought a dstt-card yesterday. I've allready downloaded one game, and then extracted it in WinRar (hopfully the right way!). So now I have two icons on my computor that says: 2897 - "title" & xms-plre.
    What do I do next? I have downloaded movies before (whit U-torrent) so I know I'm suposed to have one more program where I can open it. What's the name of it and where do I find it?
    And then I guess I'm only suposed to open the first icon 2897, and not the other xms-plre?

After that I think I know what to do, just place it in the flashcart and play on! :D

2. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Re: How do I get started...? I\'m new :)

Look at the files extracted.

You can ignore the xms file-just rom dump info.

What you need is the .nds file.

Also-do you have firmware to even run the card?

Look at the common issues thread-stickied in this section.
    Post Merge: [time]1256734863[/time]
    https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php?topic=1462.0

Just a kick start-you need firmware or no games will run as of yet.

3. Nilsan

Nilsan Member

Ok I found the .nds-file - it was the one wiht the numbers. And I will ignore the other one.
    Yes I have the firmware, or accually it will come instructions how to get it with the card tomorrow.

4. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

The numbers are just the dump number for indexing-but the numbers are an inacurate way of tracking it-all sites have differing numbers.

I look at the end extension-.nds is always what you need.

5. Nilsan

Nilsan Member

Ok thanks. But where do I go from here? I guess I need a program to open the .nds-file?

6. theunderling

theunderling Well-Known Member

So you dont have the cart yet?.Are you doing a test run,as .NDS file will not be recognized by Windows .You get your cart,install firmware etc on that,then put the downloaded .NDS rom file onto the cart/mem card.
    So you need the cart/mem card/firmware/usb adaptor/winrar or similar and the dsrom.

7. Nilsan

Nilsan Member

Thanks, I think I got it now. Also saw a video on YouTube, how to do it.
    If I got it right, all I have to do is:
    First get the card and install the firmware on it. Then download a .nds-file and open it in WinRar. Save that file in the memorycard - and thats it!

Am I right?

8. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

preety much-but you need the right firmware-the latest is normally what you need.

9. theunderling

theunderling Well-Known Member

Ive not used that cart,so once youve installed the firmware from the respective site,you "may" have to create 1 or more folders(Games etc) in the root of the card,you have to do that with the r4...

p.s I try not to use you tube,loads of duff info on there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.