1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Horror Movies - How it affects you?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by damanali, Jul 25, 2010.

1. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

Ok, I was watching some horror movies or so-called horror movies this past few days namely:

Quarantine, Hostel 1 and 2 and some other movies i recently got...

and i don't know if there is something weird in me but i just laughed when watching them... at first i thought i would back out cause i really despise horror movies, but lately, i took up interest and watched a few 10 or so so-called "horror" movies...

I found them amusing, even in Quarantine which at first I thought would frighten me, instead, it made me laugh and every time they are attacked I laugh and even rooted for the infected people to kill the survivors. In hostel, i smiled when they were being tortured and killed... and I thought they should have more sequels to it cause i think the horror movies are the new comedies.

So, what are you thoughts in horror movies and how does these movies affect you?

P.S: I think i should exclude asian horror films cause i cant seem to find a good site to get them..even the pirated copies sucks... so i can't comment on those...

2. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

Horror movies on the large are low budget and have a cast full of terrible actors, "reality" TV stars and nobodies. They're boring, dull and don't have very good lighting.

3. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

The modern "horror" genre has been more of a "Gore" genre than anything. The movies coming out these days are less "let's be scary" and more "let's see how much blood and how many different ways to torture/kill people we can think of".

I honestly can't think of a single actual "horror" that came out in the past ten years.

It's no surprise that you find yourself laughing. The ways they try to "scare" by just filling a movie with various methods of killing is laughable.

4. awesomebros

awesomebros Well-Known Member

My sister made me watch a few steven king movies and my god were they terrible.

5. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

That's just pop-culture "horror" films. It's nothing but sex, blood, gore, sex, boobs, drugs, blood, and sex.

I like the old-school horror films genre, like Dawn of the Dead by Romero and Paranormal Activity. Those two gave me horrible after effects for a couple of days.

6. Canoso777

Canoso777 Well-Known Member

IDK.... New Horror movies Directors think like Someone will appear in the wrost place ever. thats it.

Deffine for Example SAW, SAW is the kind of movie that saids ''You'll puke now and quickly watchin this''
    If SAW would be an Horror movie, would be awesome cuz the Suspense its just Incredible.
    Think it, watching some ''BFF'' trying to kill each other ín a extreme Torture mode, each of they suffering and feeling extreme pain just to save their lives?
    one word:
    Awesome
    Post Merge: [time]1280108776[/time]
    Hey, You forgot something in the list, sex lol.

Do you Consider The Ring and The Hills have eyes Old-School Horror movies?

7. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

One word.

I hate those kinda movies.

Those movies aren't old-school...those are horrible anyways and are to me the modern form of horror movies, making them stupid and pointless to me.

8. Canoso777

Canoso777 Well-Known Member

True.

9. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

yeah...that's like 31 words there ace.

anyway I like horror moves, but every damn one of them are stupid as hell but I still get a kick out of them its like a dark comedy to me. especally Trick R Treat I just got to see it and its is of course stupid as hell but is now one of my favorites that I will no doubt watch again during Halloween.

Oh and BTW Paranomal Activity wasn't scary one bit it was very disappointing and everyone hyping it up and "nightmares guaranteed" plus it reminded me of Blair Witch Project too much.

Now as it "affecting me" far as I can tell it doesn't do shit other than makes me try to find something that might beat the previous flick.

10. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

No horror movie has every really scared me. I think it's because I know it's fake and can't shake the fact that I know that. I mean, movies like The Unborn, you HAVE to laugh at since it did such an awful job trying so hard to be scary or even have shock value. When I watched Halloween 2 (the remake, Rob Zombie version), all I could do was laugh. It was awful and completely destroyed the frightening, demonic image that Micheal Meyers had gained since the first Halloween movie (with one or three bad movies along the way).

Even movies like Dawn of the Dead and Paranormal Activity didn't scare me. They made me jump once or twice, but I can't say that I was actually even close to scared. Basically, horror movies suck. They've never really been scary (older scary movies serve more as satires anymore), and new "scary" movies derive too much from shock and don't try enough to create that sense of paranoia and fear.

Maybe I personally ruined it for myself, I don't really know.

11. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

True. It wasn't scary. It was the after effects that scare me. :p
    I terrify myself...

12. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

The best horror movies are the ones that don't take themselves seriously. Some movies come off as funny when they aren't trying to be, and that's a BAD thing, meanwhile when movies aren't taking themselves seriously and are funny, well, that's good.

Dead Alive (or Brain Dead in the UK), Evil Dead, Drag Me To Hell, Army Of Darkness etc are my favorite horror movies, because they're fucking hilarious and because there's a couple of genuine scares in a couple (Drag Me To Hell). Although Dead Alive is moreso a gore fest, one of the goriest movies ever (has the record for the most movie blood in a film).

But I love thrillers, like Hannibal/Silence Of The Lambs, but I'd hardly classify them as horror.

Imo, Paranormal Activity was boring, just like Blair Witch. Blair Witch and Paranormal Activity picked up at the end of their movie, and that's when their good frights happened, then it's done. Seriously, 90% of both films were just filler imo, or it felt like it.

13. MadmanNero

Starting to work wonders on me too. :eek:

I love you. Dead Alive was an absolute blast! And the others you listed are on my top list as well, but I also added in Shaun of the Dead and recently Trick r Treat oh and People Under the Stairs.

14. unqiueninja

unqiueninja Well-Known Member

Paranormal Activity did scare me for a day at least ;D I had to make sure my I won't be drag by unknown force while sleeping

15. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

What?

I guess I did laugh a lot in the movie come to think of it...

16. MadmanNero

You terrifying yourself.

17. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Ok. I'm pretty tired and pissed off at my computer/DC, so I didn't really get what you said. Plus, I think you put one instead of on?

Another good horror movie was The Thing (1982 remake). Easily my favorite horror movie.

18. MadmanNero

Bah!

19. unqiueninja

unqiueninja Well-Known Member

20. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

My worse experience, and i mean i got really scared was when the first time Child's play movie came out and i watched it when i was younger. Now, i dont find it scary but traumatic cause when we watched it, there was a storm-like nature at night and i was really young. My little sister has the same life-like, bigger than her like doll. And its like where you can play with it by cutting its hair and there was turn-key where it grows longer or shorter...

Well, my little sister cut and dyed the hair from blond to orange like, the same with Chuckie, and everytime i remember or see it, i kinda pass out for like a few seconds...