1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Homebrew knowledge?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Lizz0784, Dec 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lizz0784

Lizz0784 Well-Known Member

Is there a website that I can learn about homebrew and such things you can do with your ds in simpler terms? All the sites I've seen only explain a bit about it and haven't given me enough information or information I understood enough. I'm planning on buying an acekard2 if that helps any.

Also is there much of a difference between acekard2 or acekard2i besides the dsi compatibility with the 2i? It seems they're both up to date with the firmware.

~Thanks

2. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Just dsi compatibility for the 2.i, but it works on all ds models so just incase, get the 2.i.

As for homebrew...are you wondering about programming and making your own apps or just playing them?

3. Lizz0784

For homebrew just playing the games or using apps. I'd like to know more about how to use it and what I'd need to do to use it. I'm getting a card for downloading ds games but can I put the homebrew firmware(?) on the same micro card as the regular download games and of course the card firmware?

As far as I can think of I'd like homebrew for games and an e-reader app, if there is a good one out there. Maybe some other apps that would be useful but I don't need to play movies or listen to music.

A website with homebrew apps and/or games would be useful too after I figure out if it's worth getting homebrew. My wireless isn't very good atm but maybe a good browser? I've hear that's possible. Then I could use wifi hotspots to get the web on my ds when traveling...?

4. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Well, that's easy.

The acekard is good for this because the homebrew games, provided you follow the instructions properly on how to make it work, should start straight away.

Other's like r4 would need to dldi patching before trying.

http://www.qj.net/nintendo-ds.html

This is where I get my apps.

Best I seen are lemmings and doom conversions.

There is also an msn app...as well as a few net browsers, though personally I use the official nintendo one, since I got the ezy 3 in one flash cart to make it work :)

5. Lizz0784

That's using the slot 1 ds card right? Not the gba slot 2 card? I'm only getting slot 1 and I've seen homebrew works with that but when I look for more info I get websites that say you need slot 2 card. =/

Can you get the official nintendo one without buying it? I forgot they had an official one XD

6. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Most use slot 1, but some like quake 2 needs a slot 2 because of the extra ram needed for it to work.

Yes you can, it's actually hosted on here, but you would need an ezy 3 in 1 to make it work, and if your using a dsi...you could have downloaded that for free if you got that free points offer XD

EDIT:Made a mistake about the slots...and also what web sites did you check?

7. Lizz0784

8. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

If your in australia I would have suggested a shop in victoria, otherwise deals extreme (an online shop) might stock them.

As for that guide...that is outdated.

Just grab which ones get you interest, follow the install instructions and it should work.

However I avoid media apps like moonshell...but that is personal preferance because I got better devices for mp3 music.

9. Lizz0784

I'm buying my acekard from deals extreme =D I don't plan on using movie or music apps since I have an mp3 and I'd rather watch movies on my pc to tv connection XD

Thanks so much for all the help!

10. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

No worries, if an app doesn't work re-read the included instructions, and if that fails post the problem here and prehaps a download link, if my net holds I'll work it out myself for assistance :)

11. Lizz0784

That'd be great! I can't wait till my card gets here... Can't order it till I get paid next week though =/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.