1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Holy crap! FPS in 96 kilobytes!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tapwatah, Sep 4, 2007.

1. tapwatah

tapwatah Well-Known Member

Some german kids made a video game for a 96 kilobyte game competition. Everyone else's game were like pong or even worse, yet these people made an FPS with lighting and everything! Works best on powerful PCs, although you're welcome to try. Here's a screenshot:
    [​IMG]

Mirror: http://kk.kema.at/files/kkrieger-beta.zip

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

yep, saw it years ago

3. tapwatah

Oh. Ok.

4. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

It's many years old indeed, basically all they do is compress stuff WAY too much, that's also why it takes ages to load, they're uncompressing all the resources.

5. MusicAddict911

MusicAddict911 Well-Known Member

96kb? LOL

6. Loonylion

Wrong, but right. It's not compressed in the usual sense; all that is in the executable is code to render it. It's all real time, unlike most games that have prerendered textures and stuff. The long loading time is partly decompressing, but it is also rendering the graphics into ram.

The 'kids' the OP speaks of are no strangers to feats such as this. Named 'Farbraush', they are a group very active in the 'demoscene' producing a lot of extremely impressive demos, a lot of which are in the 64kb category. One such demo of theirs, FR-08 .The .produkkt, contains the equivalent of 15GB of data in 64KB, which would be a compression ratio of 30,000:1 if it was prerendered.

7. MusashiX09

MusashiX09 New Member

Yes, procedural generated code, just like the upcoming Spore.

I find it very interesting for one.

8. Relys

Relys Well-Known Member

This is really old. I was finally able to run it on my new computer.

9. tapwatah

I though they used a "draw" function then used it to build their worlds.

10. Loonylion

they store the instructions for creating the worlds, not the created world. So, when you run the game, the world is created on your computer following those instructions.

11. azzaman

azzaman Member

proceadually generation code FTW

12. kanwarrulz_123

kanwarrulz_123 Well-Known Member

its old !man!

13. tapwatah

Okay, geez! I'm just getting old enough to know what this is, so don't beat up on me!