1. This forum is in read-only mode.

highly compressed games so low bandwith users can download.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by bevboy, Jan 10, 2010.

1. bevboy

bevboy New Member

Games for playstation would be easier to download if they were highly compressed. because I went through some website and found playstation games were about 30mb (uncompressed=300mb)
    I think there might be some software to compress files that much ;D

And also the highly compressed games worked after decompressing them 8)

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Compression varies depending on the data. Some things can be compressed a lot, others cannot be compressed. It's the way compression works.
    Some sites host games that have had audio or video ripped out of them, to make them smaller. We don't do that here, the games available here should be exact copies of the games, everything included.

So, no, this cannot be done. Maybe a few MB off if they used 7z instead of rar, but you won't get as much as you want out of it. Compression doesn't work that way.

3. bevboy

bevboy New Member

Well I got spiderman enter electro for playstation. It was 31mb when I downloaded but after decompressing with winrar it showed 600mb which is the actual size of the game. So are there contents ripped from it ?

4. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

No, ripped games have a smaller size when extracted, the data is removed from them rather than being compressed.

Easy way to think of compression:
    Say you have a list of 100 numbers that are all the same. Instead of telling someone every single number in the list, you just tell them the number and tell them it's repeated 100 times. That's basically what compression does. So if there is a lot of redundant data in a game, it can compress quite a bit. If there isn't, then it won't.

Some games are just easier to compress, which is why they are smaller.

(And are you sure it was 31MB, and not 310MB?)
    https://www.romulation.org/PSX/Spider-Man_2_-_Enter_Electro_%5BU%5D%5BNTSC-U%5D_%5BSLUS-01378%5D.rar.html/

5. bevboy

bevboy New Member

thats what it says when I go to the compressed file properties
    and by the way when I extracted it, it gave me a bin file

6. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Ripped games can have a large file size as well, sometimes they are padded with "\0" (null bytes) which aren't read but still take up diskspace. When you compress these you basically have hundreds of megabytes of the same data which is very easy to compress.

The only way for RomUlation to significantly reduce the file size is to remove content from the games. We will not do that.

7. bevboy

bevboy New Member

OH OK, It's best to enjoy games at their full. so I'll stick to download uncompressed files.

8. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

They are still compressed, but real-world data compresses less than null bytes.