1. This forum is in read-only mode.

hi how do i extract files for nintendo ds

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by ian1-2009, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ian1-2009

ian1-2009 Member

hi have downloaded mario kart and have extracted files with winzip, it was then saved as a ds file which i put onto a micro media card and put into the r4 and inseted it into the ds - however loading is displayed and then nothing comes up - any ideas ??

2. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

http://www.rarlab.com/

The files are in a rar format, then extract your .nds game

3. ian1-2009

ian1-2009 Member

how do i do this? sorry new to all this

4. zerobahamut

zerobahamut Well-Known Member

right click and then click on Extract Here

5. ian1-2009

ian1-2009 Member

hi have right clicked and then extract here -then sent the ds file to the smart card - put this in r4 in ds but game is not playing?

6. Jhon 591

Install the rar software, Then dubble click on new icon rar file to see whats inside

Extract the .nds file by drag and drop it to where ever you want it to be
    Post Merge: [time]1262206473[/time]
    dose your file end with a .nds ?

If not rename it and add .nds

mario kart.nds

7. ian1-2009

ian1-2009 Member

when i double click to open the file it says it can open the file as does not know what program it was created with - then looked online and it said program not known file endsin .ds

8. Jhon 591

Just Rename it, your rom

It's not .ds

it should end with .nds

someone did not rename it right

Then place it on your micrsd card, And the R4 should fined it

9. m3romz

m3romz Well-Known Member

If it's extension is .ds I think it isn't downloaded from RomU... If your'e sure that you got it from RomU, PM Seph.

10. ian1-2009

ian1-2009 Member

have it was named nds but no . infront have renamed and draged and droped onto micro card but still not working have dowloaded winrar to unzip have done the test which has reported no errors - any ideas - this is harder than i thought it would be - thanks for you help so far

11. funguy

funguy Well-Known Member

have you put firmware on your R4?

12. ian1-2009

ian1-2009 Member

sorry dont know what firmware is - i have put the extracted files on the m sd card and then put that straight into the r4 - then into the ds game slot

13. iwantndsroms

iwantndsroms Well-Known Member

you should have the up to date firmware on your r4 firstly and put the micro sd into a card reader and put it in your usb port noting what memory extension its listed under for instance (removable disc F) and then download the zipped rom file from here to be sure its a good dump then double left click the rar file and then open the folder and you will see a winrar file in that double left click that and you will see a few files in there right click the one named mariokart.nds and then (choose send to)and send to removable disc f and it will send the file straight to the root of the micro sd card obviously you can put as many as you like on there providing you leave some room for the save files that nthe ds will need to create when you play the game firstly.sometimes you get multiple rar files inside the original rar file you have downloaded for instance rythm paradise has about 20 odd files in it you need to send them all to the micro sd then cut and paste the file out of the micro sd and open the first biggest file usually 4.883 kb and then send that back to the micro sd.

14. Jhon 591

Is your R4 card working with over games?, you sed loading then nothink comes up, not even the menu with the three icons on the bottom screen?

A question befor the game thing ?

[​IMG]

this is how the menu should look with firmware

15. funguy

funguy Well-Known Member

the box the R4 came in will have a web site address, go there to download your firmware, download and extract with winrar, then place all files onto your micrsd card

16. Jhon 591

Deleted

17. ian1-2009

ian1-2009 Member

hi have done the above, micro card came up as j so send it there as a .nds file , then put in the r4 - dthe r4 i assume is up to date as only brought it yesterday and was told it was a newer version - is there any chance something could be wrong with this or the micro card ?
    also all i get on the ds is a two balnk black screens the top one says loading then nothing happens - i dont have the 3 icons as posted in jhons reply

18. iwantndsroms

iwantndsroms Well-Known Member

what type of r4 is is ,what box did it come in ?is it a black square box or the version 2 r4 that comes in a plastic blister pack with a blackish card reader
    or is it the red box' r4 upgrade with r4 i on the cartridge or the version 1.4 in the red box with the yellow star with v1.4 on the cartridge.

19. Jhon 591

1. goto website on your box
    2. download that firmware
    3. delete all of your micrroSD chip
    4. place files from frimware rar arcive onto your microSD chip
    5. make a new folder call it games, then put your .nds games into it

Ps. what is the name of your R4? ,R4 revoluton,R4 SDHC,R4III est

20. zerobahamut

zerobahamut Well-Known Member

Make sure you make folders with names such as DS

Thread Status: