1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Help with parental controls Windows 7

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by fabvini, Nov 12, 2011.

1. fabvini

fabvini Well-Known Member

I created parental controls for my brother because he is addicted and plays minecraft 6hrs a day.
    I created a user for him and activated parental controls. (Time limit per day)
    I pressed ok to confirm settings, and ok again, but when I test it out it dosen't work and it says it is deactivated. And my brother says he dosen't want to switch user because he will lose his unique ID on TeamSpeak.

Any ideas? Shold I use another program with windows 7 is laggy?

2. Jonez001

Jonez001 Well-Known Member

Does you and your brother use the same account?

3. ogh3

ogh3 Well-Known Member

*Do

What exactly are you trying to do?

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

We have a saying in the network admin industry: 'don't try to find a technological solution to a social problem'

5. fabvini

No, I have an administrator account and it has a password. My brother has his own account that is supposed to have limited game time but when I confirm it, it dosen't activate!

@Loonylion He's visiting a shrink and he recommended this cause then he will have to occupy himself with other activities until he forgets about it (I hope).

6. zaphodikus

zaphodikus New Member

I have 3 Win7 boxes at home, and no matter what I do, the time-control for Family-Safety do not work on the one machine. Safe surfing works on all three perfectly. Without re-installing I cannot fix it (it's not an account problem, its a screwed up driver problem), so untill a year goes by and I re-format (I do this anyway after about a year), it's broke for me too. I did get some actual MS help, but no dice.

Windows7 x64 (with driver signing disabled, makes no difference actually) and its a Ultimate Edition, so it's my work-horse. Hence not about to wipe the machine early just to get time controls working. :'(

7. someirishkid

someirishkid Well-Known Member

You visited a shrink for Minecraft addiction?

...wow.

8. lewis9191

lewis9191 Well-Known Member

Here is a cheaper idea. Back-up his world. Then uninstall mc or just block the website.

9. fabvini

not me, me bro and his addiction is serious. He is getting bad grades, stays till 3am on a school day playing.

@Hipster He's not stupid, he can download it from any website again if I delete mc.

10. Loonylion

uninstall it and use group policy to prevent him reinstalling it?

11. fabvini

sounds good but complicated.

12. Loonylion

switch his account to limited (= not local administrator) then on an administrator account, go to start->run, type 'secpol.msc' then once it loads select 'software restriction policies'. In the action menu, click 'add software restriction policies' then expand the folder. Right click 'enforcement' and set 'apply to all users except local administrators'. OK that and right click on 'additional rules' and choose 'new hash rule'. Browse to the minecraft executable and set it to 'disallowed'. It should no longer run for his account.