1. This forum is in read-only mode.

HELP! Micro SDHC Kingston formatting problem!

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by Xalfrea, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Xalfrea

Xalfrea Well-Known Member

Ack, sorry I had to repost this. Can the one in the technical help be deleted? This is the proper section for this issue.

So I got a 4gb Micro SDHC Kingston card. With so many new games on the DS I figured its time to move on from my 1gb card.

First thing I did was format it, so I used the Panasonic SD formatter. However around 50% an error message popped up and it said the format couldn't be completed. Then I attempted it with the standard Windows formatter. However, the message "Windows can not complete the format". And from now on whenever I insert the SD into the computer, it says

The Disk in Drive E is not formatted. Do you want to format now?

Yet, when I do try to format, the same format error occurs. Now I'm stuck in a loop.

Is there a way around it? Can it be fixed so it can be accessed and formatted? Or did I just blow cash on a dead Micro SDHC Kingston?

2. dills2

dills2 Well-Known Member

no idea how to help you

3. unqiueninja

unqiueninja Well-Known Member

Congratz ;D You have just bought a corrupt Micro SDHC card

4. Xalfrea

Um... no offense, but if that was the case then why bother posting here.

Anyway I think I might know the cause. Apparently, Kingstons that are SDHC, or are above 4gb, do not work with an old drive. Hopefully it can work with my mom's Windows 7 laptop

I also attempted to try to format it using the Disk Management. While it did format it, I attempted to post all my AK2i files and games from my old sd card and it said something about a parameter.

I'm praying that the sdhc card isn't screwed up... Please don't say I bought a corrupted card. The store I bought it doesn't work well with refunds.

5. alukado

alukado Well-Known Member

I just wonder if your card reader is in write-protect ?

6. Xalfrea

Write-protected? You think that may be the problem? How can I determine?

Anyone encountered this problem before? It's totally not fair, how the hell was I supposed to know my old drive isn't compatible? The people at the store certainly didn't tell me that. Maybe I'll throw that argument around if they won't give me a new card or my money back.

7. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

you arent going to get a non-sdhc 4GB card, they dont exist.

It is technically the user's responsibility to check that what they buy is compatible with their existing system so I doubt you'd get very far.

It does however sound like a write protect, an SDHC card in a non SDHC reader probably wouldnt even be detected. Write protection is usually achieved by a switch on the side of the reader or adaptor.

8. Xalfrea

Yeah, maybe I should have checked. I'm rather new on this rom business and card business.

But at any rate, I plugged the card into my mom's Windows 7 laptop. Formatted perfectly, and was able to put files in it. So no problems in the end.

Thanks for the help anyway though. Now I know about write-protection and whatnot.