1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Help me to stop smoking

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by syx, Jun 7, 2009.

1. syx

syx Active Member

It's been three months since i started smoking, started as a stunt in a documentary my friend made.

I want to know is there anybody out there who successfully stop? I understand the risk and want to stop but also find that every time I lack motivation.

I don't want this to continue and any help would be appreciated, but please don't give a motherly lecture, my mom already did.

regards

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Just stop.

3. waylonn

waylonn Well-Known Member

Get those nicotine chewing gum

4. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Pointless, as well as the patch.

5. syx

syx Active Member

Is it really that pointless?

I mean, it's chemically summat capable isn't it?

6. sylky0604

sylky0604 Well-Known Member

i use Valerian i don't know what's the English word for it it's homeopathic and it's supposed to calm your nerves....helped pretty good

7. bhatooth

bhatooth Well-Known Member

protest

8. syx

syx Active Member

isn't those things (homeopathic) make you crave sweets?

i need to stay in shape for my acting job..

9. sylky0604

no i don't think so...at least not for me...

10. 1prinnydood

1prinnydood Guest

It is not a placebo, it contains nicotine.
    Mind you I do not think much of these products, too expensive and you are still going to be addicted to nicotine if you use them.

If you lack the will power you will not be able to quit, simple as that. To help boost your will power you could consider hypnotism(some of these people are quacks make sure they have the proper qualifications), also some of the Chinese herbal products can be helpful, assuming you can find a good Chinese herbalist. Be warned, many of the herbal remedies will make you feel very sick if you do smoke while using them. Personally I quit smoking by using nasal snuff tobacco, and I found that stopping my use of snuff was very easy compaired to coming off the cigs. Good luck.

It is called Valerian in english, and it is a sedative. It is not homeopathic. It is good for bad nerves and sleep problems.

11. syx

syx Active Member

oh, valerian root isn't it?

i already use it for my sleeping disorder, I think I'll try hypnotism, I don't believe Chinese herbal stuff..

12. sylky0604

ow...but i did get it in a homeopathic store...ow well it did help me

13. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

Smoking cause impotence and infertility, sorted.

14. jeebstheman

jeebstheman Member

I used to smoke. I ended up smoking about a pack a day the last few of the 8 years that I smoked, but I did end up quitting. It sure is good to be able to taste food again.
    Couldn't quit cold turkey - I found the cravings to shatter my willpower pretty fast. The gum tastes awful... I don't know if they made it more bearable now - that was 10 years ago - yeah. i'm 30 now. Now - doing the math - you would see that I started when i was 12. Yeah. That is correct. I started when i was in 7th grade.
    The patch actually worked for me. The downside to the patch is that it is expensive - but look at the cost of a pack of cigarettes these days. Also the patch ITCHES LIKE CRAZY when you first put it on. It works by giving you a steady dose through the day. as you progress through the weeks using the patch, eventually you are using patches that give you very little nicotine, but you really still have to have some amount of willpower to quit. I am sure there are some people you can see carting around those oxygen tanks - that was scary enough motiviation for me.

Every so often i get a serious craving to have a cigarette, but that is pretty manageable.
    I've never tried hypnotism - so i can't chime in on the subject.

15. 1prinnydood

1prinnydood Guest

Yes it is a root, I am not sure why you do not believe in Chinese medicine as they use valerian root in the same way a western herbalist does. Chinese herbal medicine is very similar to western herbalism.

An alternative to valerian is hops, the stuff they make beer with. Like valerian it has a very bitter taste, but some people find hops more effective. It is possible to combine the two, this would be more useful to sleep problems than smoking as you will feel very drowsy if you take both. Although this herbal combination is considered safe as with any sedative you must be careful not to take too much, always get the advice of a herbalist.

Valerian can be used homeopathicly, when used this way it actualy has the opposite effect. Homeopathic valerian is used to treat tiredness and general lack of energy. As a natual root or extract it is not homeopathic, it needs to undergo a long process of dilution to convert it into a homeopathic version.

16. sylky0604

maybe thinking that it helped was all i needen then...

17. 1prinnydood

1prinnydood Guest

No you probably got the right version for you, most homeopathic stores would carry both versions.

18. syx

syx Active Member

smokin is definitely needed to get laid around this part, so, it's a hand for a hand deal mate..

I'm a veg, so don't actually know how a cold turkey tasted, but smoking did dull my sense of taste..

I AGREE, ITCHES like hell I can't stand it

19. sylky0604

i don't know...i know it helped ...and i didn't replace the smoking with eating

but i do think you really need to want it very very bad otherwise you won't quit no matter what you try

20. syx

syx Active Member

Yep, now I got to set my mind straight first then..

and eventually STOP..