1. This forum is in read-only mode.

help me Set firefox to default mailto:

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fallenleader, Apr 4, 2009.

1. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

i am having the damndest time, i installed stuffit onto my messd' msn messenger. http://www.mess.be/
    www.stuffplug.com
    now the little mail icon in messenger will open my mail in firefox, and e-mail addresses in the contact list will open in firefox directly to a new e-mail with the address already filled in.

but when it comes to e-mail links in pages mailto: i am only able to get my default mail thing to open to its inbox.

i use newest firefox, messenger 8.1 hacked, and office live mail "like hotmail" web based.

Edit: i believe part of it may be in folder options. it doesn't have anything to do with internet options i dont believe.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

you can't use webmail with mailto:// urls.

3. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

i got whatever to open into my office live. it just wont open into a new letter with already filled address. it'll open into a new tab with my inbox.

4. Loonylion

that's as close as you'll get it.

5. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

bah. if there is a will there is a way. thats why my messenger has no more dating ads. stupid MS and their greedyness. now it has NO ads at all!

either way, there has to be something. if it can open the page then why not that final part?

6. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

I disagree, I have a firefox plugin that will open up gmail compose page when I click on a mailto link.

7. Loonylion

gmail works differently to other webmail.

8. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

thats why i need help. and i believe before i mesed with it, IE7 was able to do it. not exactly sure because i screw with stuff so much.

it is probably some ingrain setting. which is why i am outsourcing beyond my normal searches and such.

by the way, hi seph.

9. Orbijx

Orbijx Member

I smell FUD.

By default, Firefox 3 will allow users to open mailto links with Yahoo Mail or Google Mail. No plugins needed.

If the end user needs to have it open mailto links with a different webmail provider than the above mentioned ones, then they'll likely need an extension, unless their webmail provider offers just enough of an API to grab a hold of a new tab, and prepopulate it with the email address that was clicked on in a new compose window. If it *is* provided, then all that is needed is to modify this:
    Code:
    javascript:window.navigator.registerProtocolHandler("mailto","https://mail.google.com/mail/?extsrc=mailto&url=%s","Gmail")
    to the relevant service information, and post it into the address bar.

To use the javascript I'm posting here, one has to enable a specific feature in Gecko:
    In the address bar, one must type about:config, agree to the warning, and then search for gecko.handlerService.allowRegisterFromDifferentHost. Typing part of the name would be fine, since typing gecko.ha turns up all the handler services.
    The above mentioned line must be set from false to true, before Firefox will even look at the javascript links.
    Once you are satisfied with the added services, you should set the gecko.handlerService.allowRegisterFromDifferentHost back to false, as it protects you from random things wanting to install themselves.

As a result, Hotmail and Windows Live Mail can be added with the following bits of code, respectively:
    Code:
    javascript:navigator.registerProtocolHandler('mailto','http://hotmail.msn.com/secure/start?action=compose&to=%s','Hotmail');
    Code:
    javascript:navigator.registerProtocolHandler('mailto','http://mail.live.com/secure/start?action=compose&to=%s','Live Mail');
    My 'proof or gtfo' is in the picture:
    [​IMG]

10. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

could i have a little more instruction on that? i've been making changes and testing then turning them back to no avail.

in about config looking at the gecko listings. what changes to i make?

11. Orbijx

Orbijx Member

Nutshell:

Go to about:config in the address bar.
    Search for gecko.ha
    gecko.handlerService.allowRegisterFromDifferentHost must be set to true. (double click to change this)
    Paste the javascript: links into the address bar right after that.
    It will ask you at the top of the screen if you want to add that handler. Say yes to that.
    gecko.handlerService.allowRegisterFromDifferentHost should be reset to false. (double click to change this)

Follow the instructions posted in the link I posted above to change what program or site handles your mail, as it gives pictures on what to do at that point.
    :)

12. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

easier than i thought.
    problem was i screwed with the urlmail crap in file options in xp.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\hmmapi.dll",MailToProtocolHandler %1

that is what it needed to be. that is what it normally is.