1. This forum is in read-only mode.

help me please with my R4

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by tanya1121, May 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tanya1121

tanya1121 Member

Hi there
    I'm just wondering if anyone can help me with my R4. I cann't get the games onto my R4. It goes to media and not into games. My daughter is going crazy trying to get it to work . tried to watch how to do it on youtube and that didn't help us ???
    HELP US PLEASE

2. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

Did you extract the games from the .RAR or .7z archive? The R4 cannot play the game if it is not extracted.

Here's a tutorial by Almo:

https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php?topic=3880.0

3. rush n kaos

rush n kaos Well-Known Member

wait, you lost me on the media part, cause that's for music and videos. so i'll give basic layout

1: choose, download a game
    2: it should be either a RAR file or a 7Z file. unzip using WinRAR, 7-ZIP, or similar program
    3: take the .NDS file and stick it into your R4, preferably in a separate folder to prevent clutter, if you use DS emulators/homebrew
    4: play, repeat from step 1

any problems with games not working, check here: Common Issues
    https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php?topic=1462.0

i apologize if i'm not answering the right question the right way, but it's how i interpreted it

edit: oi you beat me to it

4. tanya1121

tanya1121 Member

No i got them for RomsCentral is that a bad site?

5. rush n kaos

i used to get them from places like that, but they tend to not be reliable. i would stick to good old Romulation for this kind of things

6. Born2killx

It's actually against the rules to name competing ROM sites on the forums. (RomUlation's the way to go! ;))

Rush, I believe what tanya1121 means is that the files can only be seen on Moonshell. By default the games explorer on the R4 is set to only display .NDS files (this can be changed, with either the Select or Start button; I can't remember which). Moonshell displays all the files, including the .RAR or the .7z file that she put on the R4.

7. tanya1121

tanya1121 Member

Is on that site there games don't work?
    Sorry about that i'm new to this and i'm not here to drop other names just trying to this to work it is for my daughter

8. tanya1121

tanya1121 Member

where would i change the nds files in?

9. Born2killx

All ROMs are the same.

Did you extract the ROM from the .RAR or .7z archive though? What file extension (filename.***) is the game on your R4? It should either be .NDS, .RAR, or .7z. If they are the latter two, then you need to extract the ROM from the archive.

10. rush n kaos

whoops forgot that note
    when you go into the games section, and you can't see any of the files, hit SELECT to toggle view mode. the cycle is like: "NDS FILES", "TEXT FILES", "SAVES", and "ALL FILES". you may have it on TEXT FILES ONLY, that could be the reason you can't see them

and like said multiple times, remember to extract the game first. the resulting file extension needs to me ".NDS" to be playable on the R4

11. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

B2k, it is the Select key to change the file extension view function on the firmware yes.

Don't understand. Just extract the archives so that you get the .nds ROM file, put anywhere on your MicroSD, boot to the GAME menu, and click A on the highlighted ROM.

Also, NDS ROMs are compressed with the .rar archive format.

12. tanya1121

tanya1121 Member

I'm sorry this is just to confusing for me i guess i should go to school to learn how to do this HAHA

13. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Nope, just read the threads on the top of the forum. They are referred to as "Stickies" and usually contain some valuable information.

Like this WinRAR tutorial.
    https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php?topic=3880.0

14. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

If the rom came from a different site we've no way of knowing what compression it uses or even if its a valid rom file. If you download the games from our site then it is much easier for us to help you, because we know more about what we're dealing with in your question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.