1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Help me make a decision about a 3ds with old firmware.

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by archlvt, Jan 15, 2015.

1. archlvt

archlvt Well-Known Member

Okay, so I bought a limited edition Zelda 3ds a couple years ago, and then I bought a 3ds XL last year. The XL is updated to the latest firmware, but I kept my special zelda edition 3ds at firmware version 4.5.0-10U so that when flash carts finally hit the market, the firmware would not prevent me from using them.

I am not very updated when it comes to flash carts, I'd almost forgotten about them, then I heard Gateway made a working one for 3ds games. My question is: If I update my Zelda 3ds to the newest firmware, will it lose value? Will I be unable to play flash carts if I update it?

Basically, I'd like to sell my XL before it loses its value so that I can buy the New Majora's Mask XL, and in the meantime simply use my special zelda 3ds to play my games, but any game released in the last 2 years or so won't run unless I update to the latest firmware. I've been running on the assumption that my Zelda 3ds was worth quite a bit more simply because I kept the firmware at 4.5.0.

Sorry that might seem confusing, might require reading more than once to really get it.

Thanks in advance.

2. Fylgja

Fylgja High level Neet

if you want to be able to use a 3ds flashcard then dont update to the newest firmware it will only work up to 9.2, you can still play newer games on older firmwares by installing emunand (you dont even need to buy a gateway to do so) however before you do anything you should read the gateway support forum on maxconsoles (mainly the gateway ultimate guide)

3. archlvt

archlvt Well-Known Member

Thanks, that didn't really answer my main question though. I want to know if my LE Zelda 3ds will lose monetary value if I update the firmware. In other words, does having v4.5 make my console worth more money? I want to sell it one day, and I'm wondering if it's worth it to leave 4.5 on there to keep the value up.

**I just wanted to clarify because I can understand how my question could be misinterpreted based on where I'm posting. I actually do not plan to buy a flashcard at all. But I'm aware other people would want to so it occurred to me that my system might be worth an extra hundred bucks or something if it were running on an old firmware. Is this not the case?**

4. Fylgja

Fylgja High level Neet

currently because of the recent exploit release and the possibility to downgrade no, however once 3ds systems are no longer being sold with 9.0/9.2 system versions and finding a console with an exploitable firmware becomes hard it might.