1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Help me find good (puzzle) NDS games for an older relative?

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by Zafur, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Zafur

Zafur Member

Okay this might sound weird but about last year or so my mother has gotten into gaming on the DS. DSiXL and all. I put a bunch of different roms on her cart including her two favourites, Tetris and Dr.Mario (for GB) but all she's been playing this last year has been this one puzzle game. It's sort of like Bejeweled I guess but the point is to get a certain tile to the bottom of the board. I just feel bad that she literally only has 1 game that she enjoys playing. She must've beaten the whole thing over 20 times.

She doesn't want to play what I considered "old people friendly" games like Mario and Kirby and doesn't touch the brain games anymore. (Brain Age and Academy)
    Any tips? :/ A lot of stuff games targeting this demographic are garbage.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

theres several different variants of tetris. DS also has quite a few board game like games she might like, and maybe some puzzle type games?

3. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

Puzzle Quest? Or zuma.

4. Zafur

Zafur Member

Thanks. I believe I put a newer version of Tetris but it was that Mario edition one... We both don't like it even though a lot of people claim it's the best for some reason.

I'll look up those names and see if I've put them on her cart. :)

5. funguy

funguy Well-Known Member

Picross & Picross 3D

6. CoolKill3r

CoolKill3r Well-Known Member

Ever tought of Plants vs. Zombies?
    could be fun.

7. Zafur

Zafur Member

I forgot if I put Picross... Not sure if she'll be able to play them though. xD;;

I've never played that. It's a puzzle?

8. funguy

funguy Well-Known Member

Yes it is a puzzle, a very good one.

9. Fredbox

Fredbox Well-Known Member

Yeah, but not like tetris, where you have to react fast. Picross started out in newspapers, like sudoku or something.

10. that3d-trapezoid

that3d-trapezoid Well-Known Member

Ever tried Meteos?

Or how about the appropriately named Henry Hatsworth & The Puzzling Adventure?
    --Top screen is a platformer, bottom is a puzzle. It's a weird mix, but the game is fantastic.

11. Zafur

Zafur Member

Thanks for all the suggestion guys. :) And while some of them sound good for a player like me and I'll be looking into a few of them for myself, I'd just like to remind everyone that my mother is pretty... conservative with games (so probably no puzzle genre mixes like Hatsworth, Phoenix Wright, Layton, etc). She doesn't even like Mario/Sonic. Failed to get into Harvest Moon too (thought it might be a smart move considering Farm Ville getting popular with that demographic).

Yes I've played Picross and I like it. I mean she's not... the kind to enjoy Sudoku and games like that. ^^;; It's not so much pickiness with this rather than the fact she doesn't have the skill to deal with numbers, especially at her age.

I meant the Zombie game. I never thought it was a puzzle? o_O

12. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Here you go....

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/list-173

Just sift through all 500+ titles to find ones she'd like.

13. tuna+egg

tuna+egg Member

I recommend Sokoban. It's a classic that involves moving boxes around to a defined target area. Simple concept but surprisingly challenging (and fun!)

14. Killua Zaoldyeck

Killua Zaoldyeck Well-Known Member

puzzle? professor layton series is the best i think,,, followed by ace attorney series,,, and you might want to try agatha christie:abc murders,,
    plant vs zombies is more like tower defense,, even though its also puzzling,,,

15. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

we have a whole lot of them in the share section last 50 or so, about 30 of them will be a puzzle game.

16. Zafur

Zafur Member

Hey, I just wanted to thank you. The other day I caught my mother playing this game even though I wasn't expecting it.
    I hope this might bring her into other game genres if she ends up liking it enough. :)

17. I'm not sure if you still need suggestions but... Cooking Mama 3: Chop and Shop, Diner Dash or Cake Mania might interest her. Not exactly puzzle games but really, these games are designed for women.

18. slingshot182

slingshot182 Well-Known Member

Maybe a game like Ace Attorney? It requires thinking and stuff I guess. :p

19. sf1215

sf1215 Well-Known Member

I think your best bet would be the Professor Layton series. I know many older people who really enjoy those games.

20. Inunah

Inunah Well-Known Member

Not all puzzle games, but here you go. A bunch of games that I know of that are puzzly enough or simple enough.
    • Tetris DS
    • Tetris Party Deluxe
    • Picross DS
    • Picross 3D
    • Pokemon Trozei
    • PicPic
    • Color Cross
    • Plants vs Zombies
    • Bejeweled Twist
    • Bejeweled 3
    • Zuma
    • Magnetica