1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Help me find a good bike.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by duderedux, Oct 19, 2008.

1. duderedux

duderedux Well-Known Member

With gas prices and the economy as they are today, it has become a necessity for me to get a bike. Problem is I have no idea what kind/brand to get. I live in a place that has high sloping hills (imagine San Francisco). I am hoping some of you could give me ideas on what to get.

2. highslopes eh? hmm for high slopes you need power, either you get a dirt bike try KTM, HONDA. etc or bigbikes like HARLEY, YAMAHA, DUCATI,BMW i think for high slopes it's hard to ride on a sports bike like the R6. try the ducati streetfighter, very powerful.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I think he meant a pedal bike, not a motorbike.

4. CloudBoii12

CloudBoii12 Well-Known Member

A pushbike ?
    Hm... well you're not gonna find one cheap, especially if you want a good bike for San Francisco.
    Get a Mountain Bike, if you do, because that way you can adjust the gears to suit the slopes :)

5. equitypetey

equitypetey Well-Known Member

the thing with push bikes is you need to know what the bits are as they tend to look fancy but the parts like gears and breaks they use on pre-made ones are shit. i'd suggest building your own or getting one built but as your asking i'm guessing you won't know what to do for the bits.
    go in to a store and ask about the bikes you like make sure they point you toward a bike with a low range on the gears (will help with those hills)

as usual you can look out for the big names like GT, Giant, kona and so on

oh and make sure you don't get hydraulic brakes if you don't know much about bikes they will be a pain in the ass

but key points you want are

mountain bike, hard tail, light frame, disk brakes (cable ones) ummmmm and make sure the frame is a perfect size for you height

6. CloudBoii12

CloudBoii12 Well-Known Member

Couldn't have said it better myself!
    ...well, it is equitypetey, so maybe i could ;D