1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Help Installing a Kernel

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by trollboy555, Jul 1, 2014.

1. trollboy555

trollboy555 New Member

Hey guys, I posted a week ago about an issue I was having with my flashcart. The issue was that I couldn't find a kernel for my flashcart. It turned out that the Flashcart I was using wasn't compatible with my DSi. As such, I dug out my old DS Lite to get it working. I believe this is the current Firmware here.

[/url]http://www.linfoxdomain.com/nintendo/ds/?mode=desc&fileid=4299[/url]

I keep trying to install it, but it keeps saying 'Menu?' upon booting up. Any help on how to get the thing working would be greatly appreciated. I've enclosed a picture just in case it helps.[​IMG]

2. m_babble

m_babble Member

Usually you get the "menu" message means you instal the wrong firmware. Sorry can not see the picture. And you have to check your card to figure out what your card is. Usually the card will have the offical site printed on it.

3. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Here let me help you with the image you kept trying to post, you still don't seems to know how to properly post an image you'd uploaded;

[​IMG]

And here's for reference what topic he had posted his issues before : Help identifying a R4 Card/ Link to Kernel

His R4 is a very poor low end clone called 'R4i Upgrade R4 Talk v.2.0'.

Look, OP, your cart is mentioned in the image as one that came from r4i-ndsill . com, linfoxdomain (the link given to you by Necr0), listed at least 3 kernel possibilities that might suit your cart's. There're the 'R4 DSi XL v.2.05', 'R4i NDSill v.1.45', and 'R4i NDSiXL 3D v.2.0'. Most likely the last 2 names I mentioned could be what you needed. But if you have tried installing all those 3 (try just the latest version from each drop down list) and all of them results to "MENU?", then it clearly means even linfoxdomain don't have copy of the installation kernel your cart needs as it's again such a low end clone that barely anyone would choose to own. So if none works, what would you choose to do next is what you best think you should do.

However basically kernel installation usually involves steps as follow but not limited to the below steps as some maybe different:
    1. Download the correct kernel/firmware meant for it (make sure to check the website listed on the sticker of that cart)
    2. Charge the NDS console fully
    3. Back up SD Micro content if any, else go ahead and FULL FORMAT the SD Micro
    4. Extract the Downloaded kernel if it's .zip or .rar, and copy over the .NDS file to the SD Micro (not game rom!)
    5. Insert SD Micro into flash cart, and power up the NDS console
    6. Click on the .NDS file and follow the on-screen instruction; process could take several minutes even hour!
    7. Wait until installation process done (never switch off the console even if it seems installation process is idle!)
    8. When done, it'll normally reboot itself or switch off
    9. Go ahead and add game rom to the SD Micro, and try playing.
    10. Most old flash cart will need secondary (third party) firmware to help it enable playing newer rom releases