1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Help in convincing my dad to STOP USING COMIC SANS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by personuser, Feb 7, 2011.

1. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

Okay, so my dad's been doing OK with his comics. They're pretty funny and likable (though sometimes a little biased) but the one real problem I have is that he ALWAYS uses comic sans. I don't know why, but it looks so damn amateur!

Here's one of his

[​IMG]

and here's a comic by gary larson (our favorite comic artist, who dad wants to emulate) that DOESN'T use comic sans

[​IMG]

Notice how much more professional it looks?

Dad just says "well, when they buy my comic, if they want me to get rid of comic sans I will" but I'm trying to explain to him that USING that font will DEREASE his chances of getting hired for comics in the first place. But he doesn't listen.

I want dad to do well in this. HOW can I get him to stop using comic f*cking sans? Thanks guys.

2. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

Helvetica is the new in thing.

3. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

Comic Sans sucks. We need to use it at school all the time.

Remove the font from his computer :p

4. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

I wisk it was that easy. Since ALL of his comics use sans, they ALL need that font on the computer for the text to be readable. If I delete sans, he loses all of his lines (he types the lines in in WORD and saves the picture from there.) He would also lose the words on all of his BUSINESS CARDS (he uses it on his professional cards too) and I would be pretty f*cked.

Plus, he is SUPER protective of his cheap-ass lappy. It's hard for me to get near it at all unless I'm un-borking it for him :p

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

he's never going to get anywhere if he uses comic sans on his business cards, its about as unprofessional as you can get.

6. awesomebros

awesomebros Well-Known Member

Comic sans is for comics.

7. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

I don't agree with that. It's been consistently used in design for the past 50 years.

8. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

I will remember to make my sarcasm much less subtle.

9. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Does he live off the comics?

If not, then let him rot I say, if he does...well he may not consider until he get's into finacial difficulties.

I guess he uses comic sans because it says "comics" in the name :p

10. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

Problem, officer?

Seriously, Comic Sans doesn't look good even on Comics.

11. will1008

will1008 Well-Known Member

This reminds me of this:
    [​IMG]

12. CoolKill3r

CoolKill3r Well-Known Member

Hmm, I actually likes Comic Sans, altho the font do seems more childish and for child books.

13. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

If this were on Facebook, I'd like it.

I don't really like Comic Sans, it's just too... round to look at. I prefer Verdana myself, it just looks cleaner than Comic Sans.

14. Loonylion

IIRC comic sans was designed for use with young children because its less stiff and 'formal' looking than the likes of times new roman et al. It is not appropriate for professional settings.

15. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

So you're saying that it's just a marketing ploy to look all cute and bubbly for the kids?

16. Loonylion

not a marketing ploy as such, it was designed for use in educational settings and that kind of thing.

17. Awec

Awec Active Member

Comic Sans is an abomination and should be erased from the Earth. All who do not comply WILL BE DESTROYED.

18. corners

corners Active Member

That font is so ugly, and kind of hurts people's eyes. Download more comic fonts from Dafont and delete Comic Sans from the computer. And then the font will change to some random Arial font.

19. shrekwilliam

shrekwilliam Well-Known Member

find one what he likes and tell him to use that and try showing him loads of comics what are profesional and dont use comic sans

20. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

Comic Sans must be replaced with...

Arial
    or
    Arial Black

;D

...but not with Times New Roman :p