1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Help getting a Graphics Card for my old PC

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by Dark Infernape, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

Even though I have a new and powerful Laptop, I was thinking of upgrading my 3 year old Desktop PC by installing a new Graphics card and maybe overclocking the processor.
    The system is old but still in perfect working condition.
    The thing is I use PCSX2 a lot and don't want to damage my Laptop.

Specs:

System Manufacturer: BIOSTAR Group
    System Model: G31D-M7
    System Type: X86-based PC
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20GHz, 2200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. 080014, 25-Nov-08
    Installed Physical Memory: (RAM) 2.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory: 1.99 GB
    Available Physical Memory: 1.17 GB
    Total Virtual Memory: 3.98 GB
    Available Virtual Memory: 3.14 GB

Current Onboard Graphics:

Name: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family
    Adapter RAM: 256.00 MB
    Resolution: 1366 x 768 x 59 hertz

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of my friends suggested this, SAPPHIRE HD 6450 2GB DDR3.
    But the review says its not a card meant for gaming or any other heavy stuff.

Can someone suggest a good Graphics Card that can handle pcsx2 at Higher Resolutions and be able to run games released till like 2012 or something. :-\
    By budget is about 3000 - 5000 Rupees, that's like 60 - 90 US $.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

you're not going to get much on that budget I'm afraid. First can you confirm what expansion slot(s) your pc has?

3. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

I'm willing to increase my budget a little more if it makes any big difference :-\
    Im kinda broke right now and I cant ask money from my parents coz I made them buy a new System for me recently, and a new Smart Phone. :-[

Now here is my Motherboard:
    My board has a PCI Slot and a PCI Express X16 slot.

[​IMG]

4. Loonylion

whats your PSU wattage and 12v+ amperage?

5. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

::) I don't remember the PSU wattage, ill find that out by removing the side panel off my case and taking a look at the sticker on the power supply.
    I just hope the sticker is still intact.

Btw i don't know what "12v+ amperage" is ??? How do i find that out Loony?
    Post Merge: [time]1392315390[/time]
    The label on the smps didn't explain much and I couldn't understand half of it. :p

So I Googled the smps model, its an iBall LPE223-400 .
    According to Google the psu is 400 Watts.

Here's the label on the smps:
    [​IMG]

6. Loonylion

right, you have 16A on the 12V rail, that isn't very much, it's also a no-name brand, which means we really don't want to get too close to 400W. Unfortunately this severely limits what graphics cards you can have, as most cards require additional power over what can be provided by the slot, and your PSU isn't really capable of supplying the additional power.

7. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

The Model is an iBall LPE223-400, I just cropped the picture.
    Post Merge: [time]1392318929[/time]
    So what do you suggest Loony?

8. Loonylion

yes, iBall is not a well reputed (that's not saying they have a bad reputation, simply that they have no reputation) and trusted brand, therefore it's a no-name.

It's quite a difficult situation to resolve, as you have two things working against you, your small budget and your weak power supply, the budget alone won't get much of a graphics card, and certainly won't get a graphics card and a PSU.

Personally I would suggest upgrading to a better PSU, then saving up for a new graphics card, as ideally you'd want at least half as much again as your current budget to get something worthwhile.

if thats what you want to do, I'll suggest some PSU brands

9. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

I'm worried about upgrading my pc coz its over 3 years old, it never had a problem till now, but i'm worried if it does all that money I spend on it upgrading will be a waste.

Thank you Loony and please do suggest me some good psu's. Ill upgrade my spms and my graphics then. :)

10. Loonylion

it is an older machine, yes, but with the budget you were suggesting for a gpu, a newer machine is clearly out of the question. it has a dual core processor and 4GB ram so it's not completely obsolete yet, although windows 7 ideally should have 8GB ram or more, but that isn't an option here. so long as the cpu temperature is reasonable and the PSU gets replaced with a decent one, there's no reason why it would suddenly develop a fatal problem.

PSU brands to look for are: Antec, thermaltake, silverstone, seasonic, corsair, coolermaster, enermax or XFX, and you want the highest wattage possible, preferably single 12V+ rail. (don't go below 500W)

I assume you have a standard tower case, not a slimline/small form factor one?

11. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

Yes mine is a standard tower case. Its not a slimline/small form factor one.

12. Loonylion

thats fine, it will take a standard PSU then.

13. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

Thanks for the help and your time Loonylion. :)

14. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

Oh and Loony one more thing.
    After i get a new psu, out of the brands you recommended, lets say something with psu watt more than 500.

Which Card(s) do you recommend?
    I just want it to handle pcsx2 on hardware mode (on native res or more) and play games released till like 2012. Nothing more.

15. Loonylion

it really depends on your budget, but I think you'll have to go ATI because they're cheaper than nvidia, I had a HD 5870 for quite some time, and the HD6850 is also considered a good value card.

The good news is, say you were to build a new computer at some point in the next couple of years, you would be able to reuse the graphics card and probably also the PSU.

16. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

Well that clears everything. Thanks. :D