1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Headphones

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stanley Richards, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

So like, I've saved a bit of cash, just about $100, to get a new pair of headphones (my old ones have finally died after two years). I'm mainly going to be using them for PC gaming, but occasionally, I'll use them for music on the go on my iPod.

I'm considering popular brands like Audio Technika and Sennheiser (I can't remember if they only do earbuds or if they also specialize in headphones), but if any of you have other suggestions, sock it to me and I'll see.

I've heard decent things about turtlebeach's PC headsets, but they all use USB, so I can't just plug them into my iPod.

2. Jonez001

Jonez001 Well-Known Member

Does your iPod have a USB port?
    I think that mostly every gaming headphone is USB bases and not with that ... pin for music players

3. Stanley Richards

I don't want gaming headphones. I want headphones that work well for both gaming and music. Gaming headphones are often overpriced.

4. Jonez001

Based my answer on that line.

5. Stanley Richards

You don't need gaming headphones for gaming. I'm currently using my Klipsch image S4 earbuds for everything - gaming, music, etc.

6. Jonez001

In class I do... during the breaks ofc

7. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

If you're not going to game hardcore then there is no point in spending any extra money on "quality" headphones. Normal ones will do for general purpose.

You don't have the need for anything better than normal "all purpose" headphones.

8. Stanley Richards

I'd say 3/4 of my headphone's uses are for gaming. The other 1/4 is for general music and other uses.

I am kinda stuck between choosing a USB headphones and normal headphones, seeing how the former usually has a built-in mic (which I really need for skype chats and vent).

9. insanecrazy07

You have one of two choices.
    1. Get the gaming headset that is via USB and specifically used for gaming, AND get an all purpose headset for general purpose.
    2. Just get a general purpose headset and be on your way.

Achieving a middle ground here is a waste of money. If you're not one of those people that game seriously and have an actual need for the highest of quality headsets, then I wouldn't bother wasting money on achieving something that is sub-par.

It's like the middle trim models of cars. Either you go all out Type-R, SS, SVT, SRT, GXP or whatever, or you go base-model. The middle trim like Type-S, RS, LT, LTZ is just another way to jack up the price for something that isn't much better than base-model. For that much of an increase in price, you might as well just go all out.

10. Stanley Richards

Seeing as how I saw some Turtle Beach headphones for $100, I don't think I can go with option one, unless there are good "gaming" headsets for less than $50.

11. insanecrazy07

The question is do you have the need for a gaming headset in the manner that Turtle Beach gives you? Do you need to be able to hear every little sound made by other players?

If the answer is no, then you do not have any business with gaming headsets, and the cheap, budget headsets will do.

"Gaming headsets" for less than $50 do not pick up the tiniest of sounds that Turtle Beach does. In essence, it's a waste of $50. It does exactly what a $5 headset does.

This is what I've been trying to tell you.

12. Stanley Richards

Okay then, I thought it over. I think the 2nd option suits me better. So right now, I'll go for good headphones for general purposes. Any suggestions?

13. insanecrazy07

If you're paying more than $10 on any headset, you're in the unachievable middle ground that I discussed earlier, and you're wasting your money.

Technology is a sector where you get what you pay for, and you either go all out, or don't at all. Middle of the road products are generally a waste of money.

Same goes for cars and guns.

For "quality" headphones, you're going to pay at least $100 for them, otherwise they're middle of the road glorified pieces of shit, and you'll be paying 5x as much for something that offers the same benefits as <$10 headphones.

I'm trying to get you to avoid wasting money and having buyer's remorse later, but it seems like you're not reading what I'm telling you.

The earbuds I got with my iPhone 4 does the exact same thing $50 ones will do. It plays sound. That's all it's supposed to do, unless your name is Turtle Beach.

14. Stanley Richards

And it seems like you're not reading what I said earlier. I came to the conclusion that I could live with all purpose headphones. And then I went on to ask for suggestions. I said my budget's $100. I never said I'm spending it all.

15. insanecrazy07

This thread would be done if you were taking my advice. You're still asking for suggestions. That's not taking my advice. That would be ignoring it...because if you were taking my advice, you'd grab any old headphones from in your closet or continue using the ones you were using before the creation of this thread.

That tells me that the headphones you currently have are not "good enough," but little do you know that these so-called "good quality" headphones are of the same quality you currently have or are used to...and if you're bent set on buying better quality headphones, you'll have to spend around $100 or more to notice more than a slight difference.

But I'll let you figure this out on your own.

Also, I never said you'd be spending all $100. In fact, nowhere did I actually say you were going to spend $100. I did say, however that you would be wasting your money if you bought anything over $10 for all purpose.

16. Stanley Richards

I already said, my current (and only pair) is broken. One side is completely mute, the other works like half the time.

Also, you can't get $10 headphones here. They go for $30 minimum.

17. insanecrazy07

You're the only person I know of that has ONE pair of headphones. I have one for every CD/MP3 player, iPod/iPhone I've bought, one even came with my PSP. (Also, you failed to mention in your first post or any post before your last post that those were your only pair).

I've never actually had to go out and buy headphones or earbuds. I even got one from a solicitor handing out free MP3 players, and it came with it.

But seriously, just buy the cheapest one that fit your ears. There's no recommendations for that.

I would even go to say that they're not even worth buying. Just go "acquire" them, or fix the ones you've got, but cheap headphones are cheap headphones and aren't worth the time or effort to do that.

Just buy the cheapest ones so we can close this thread.

18. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

Sennheiser is quite amazing and the price is decent.