1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Have you accidentally/tricked into buying a fake game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dracosyna, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Dracosyna

Dracosyna Well-Known Member

That happened to me, a couple of years ago.
    It all started when we went to a "night market" and I saw a Pokemon Emerald game for sale. I decided to buy it since the price is cheap and after saving the game and turning it off. The save file is corrupted for some reasons and I never get to return the game since the "night market" has the policy of "No refund. Change item only". And years later, I bought two GBA games from Toys R Us and one freezes up every time you press the Start button and the other got a save file corruption after a few days.

So I guess I should avoid buying GBA games from now on :(

2. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

...toys r us selling fake game?

What country?

3. Dracosyna

The Philippines, they have Pokemon Chaos Black, Naranja, Quartz, BlueSea, Frigo Returns and the "431 Games in 1" in GBA and DS.
    If you buy a GBA game in there, you will notice that the cartridge has a sticker with the words "SM" in it and the instruction booklet is just 5 pages or less than that.
    The only video game store in here is DataBlitz. Unfortunately, they no longer stock on GBA, PS2, Gamecube and Xbox games :(

4. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

I once bought sonic 3d blast 5 (gb, in my avvy) and pokemon adventure (gbc) from a goodwill for about two bucks apiece. They are the worst platformers ever made, no question.

5. Dracosyna

Is this the Pokemon Adventure you're talking about?
    [​IMG]
    'Cause it's like the worst bootlegged Pokemon game. Anyways, the first and the last original GBA game I bought was Pokemon LeafGreen before DataBlitz started to sell a lot of DS games. They still have a few GBA games but they are not worth buying(Who wants Kim Possible for the GBA anyways?).

6. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Right there is the problem.

The whole country is full of fakes, if a store around Australia sold one there would be big bloody trouble as in one case...they need to check the game better.

You might as well import or just get roms, there is a slim chance of real games that way...I should know.

I told my mother on her trips there to NOT buy me anymore games...all my hard work on my obviously fake pokemon sapphire wasted :(

7. personuser

Ya. that's the one. Spaceninja88 did a full LP of it on youtube if anyone wants to see how ridiculous it gets. In later levels they color goombas blue and pretend they're polywhirls.

EDIT: They color KOOPAS blue, not goombas. And I think they called them squirtles in the manual.

8. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Holy crap!

So the comments posted on Youtube are indeed true!

F*cking Organized Syndicate pirate organizations LOL!

Those are NOT official Pokemon games, those are ROM Hacks & some of 'em aren't even 100% complete like Naranja.

Also, as those are pirated Carts it's safe to assume they don't have a proper battery to support saving your progress.

9. Dracosyna

Oh, I forgot about ShinyGold too! It's actually Pokemon Gold version for the GBA with ridiculous wid encounters (i.e. Wild Mudkip appeared!).
    I don't buy those bootlegged games, I just well, got a good look on the game thats all.
    The ironic thing is that even though the "media guys" confiscate pirated DVDs, they don't even bother getting the pirated games.
    The link below is all about Pokemon bootlegged games & toys too!
    http://www.trsrockin.com/fakegames.html

10. personuser

Usually they don't confiscate pirate originals, at least. Usually if companies found out their consoles were home to pirated carts, they'd use a lockout chip, like the nintendo's 10NES. Gameboys never got one, though,

11. Formonitrile

Formonitrile Member

Oh wow, them selling pirated games is insane!

I've never been tricked into buying a bootleg/pirate/fake game, but I did go online and buy Pokémon Naranja because I thought it would be fun to have a fake game. I should have gone with a better one though; it's incomplete and deletes save files on a whim.
    Still fun, though. Every Pokémon is shiny and it's an eclectic mix of them.
    Oh, and it's half in Spanish.

12. j c 2000

j c 2000 Well-Known Member

got tricked into buying fake yu gi oh cards if that counts

13. doughboy

doughboy Guest

Nope, I rarely buy games, but when I do, I usually buy them from a big gaming store where you can return games
    (GameStop or similar)

14. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Some fucking Asian lady at my local flea market sells everything fake. ::)

I bought some Pokeman cards there once and of course, they were fake...bitch.
    And the cards were horrible...they had so many wrong names and mis-spellings...

15. j c 2000

same thing with yu gi oh cards but they are not misspelled

16. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

The only place I buy from is Amazon or ebay's trusted sellers.
    Also, from some video game shops in my town.

17. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

i remember buying pokemon green at a toys R us a VERY long time ago for the GBA :p

18. j c 2000

19. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

I don't like the tone of this remark :p

Sure your point is justified, but it's so damn wrong.

Not really :p

We've been enduring it for decades now :p

You really don't have a lot of options when it comes to buying originals in this country, especially due to the fact that the market here always favors the new & disregards the old :p

Sure you can find originals of current gen games, but retro stuff? Never! Because legit stores would stop selling games for consoles a generation old, more so for really old ones, so Pirates are the only option you really have in the end. That & teh internets of course.

Isn't it LeafGreen? That's a legit title you know, so is Pokemon Green or Pocket Monsters Midori for the original Gameboy:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. lolomooako

lolomooako Member

i once bought pokemon quartz,it runs normally until you get to part when you need to dive to get to the underwater cave to get to a city,i cant enter the cave whatever i do