1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Has anyone replaced their Tivo Hard Drive? Will I lose my info?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Geminis076, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Geminis076

Geminis076 Well-Known Member

Hi, my 3 year old Series 2 Tivo has been experiencing a ton of issues. And now my Tivo is currently stuck on an endless "Welcome, Powering up" loop, so based on research I've determined that my Hard Drive is in its final days.

I don't have a lot of time at the moment due to school finals, but I watched one Youtube video on how to replace the hard drive and it looks fairly easy to do.

However, my question is:

My dying Tivo is registered with a Lifetime Subscription, if I replace the Hard Drive with an new one - anyone know what happens to all my previous registration and account info? Am I a basically just creating a brand new DVR with a blank slate?

If I have to register the service and pay again, then I guess I might as well purchase a new unit. And if anyone reading has replaced their hard drive, can you IM me with info or recommendations as to where to order from? You can post a link here too if it's not against forum policy. Maybe the policy only applies to other ROM sites.

Thanks for any info!

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I would imagine you need to clone the existing hard drive onto the new one.

3. hattyhenben

hattyhenben New Member

try doing a hard reset. call purchaser or your tivo provider for instructions on how to.