1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Happy Birthday - Mr Tesla

Discussion in 'General News' started by 1prinnydood, Jul 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1prinnydood

1prinnydood Guest

If Nikola Tesla where still alive, today would be his birthday. This is the man who developed the system whereby electricity comes out of your wall socket, he also invented the radio. Forget Edison, forget Marconi, Tesla was the real genius. Some more info about this eccentric and incredible man below.

A commemorative article from the UK Guardian - >
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2009/jul/10/tesla-electricity-inventor-birthday-anniversary

Web page of the Tesla Foundation of North America(with some video) - > http://www.tesla.org/

2. kanwarrulz_123

kanwarrulz_123 Well-Known Member

Nikola Tesla truly was a genius, I would agree on that..... but his famous inventions have just shadowed his legacy and very few of us know his name despite him being the one providing early steps for hordes of inventions. The SI unit for measuring magnetic density has been named after his surname Tesla. His photo is also imprinted on the Yugoslav currency to commemorate his brilliant contributions in the Field of Science. He has also been very famous for some of his inventions related to warfare usuage. So Nikola, here's tribute to you from my heart. Actually, parallel to this my sister's also celebrating her birthday too. So Happy Birthday to my sis as well.

3. AceKilla

AceKilla Well-Known Member

And Google Celebrate it.

4. 1prinnydood

1prinnydood Guest

Some Tesla coil fun :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJqoRaphiEk

5. Girogex

Girogex Guest

Yay a random guy I never knew about ! Hi five Mr. Tesla ! Oh wait your as stiff as cardboard.

6. 1prinnydood

1prinnydood Guest

Wow, Girogex I must say I am surprised you have never heard of Tesla, your gaming geek points must suffer for not, at the very least, remembering those oh so super Tesla coil weapons in Command and Conquer RTS games.

7. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

He was a great man, a shame he didnt got the credit for his inventions and other got them instead.

Btw, did tesla coil weapons really existed in real life? or is it just for the games?

8. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Tesla coils really exist, but weapons, I don't believe so. I think its questionable whether or not they could actually be used as weapons.

9. equitypetey

equitypetey Well-Known Member

by the time they charge there short range attack they'd be blown up :D

10. 1prinnydood

1prinnydood Guest

Well now both damaanli and Loonylion have raised an interesting question, is it possible to weaponise a Telsa coil? I think yes and no, I do think if you can get a person close to a Tesla coil you could give them quite a shock. Considering the amount of power you would need to do this beyond a few yards it is probably a fanciful idea.
    Tesla did work on a 'death ray' which was more or less a solar collector, his design would kill people(and blow holes in armour) at no cost. I could be wrong but I think Tesla was more interested in Earth resonance(the discovery that our planet has a powerful vibration) than war at this point in his life.

11. Loonylion

My point about not being able to weaponise it is not so much its capability of killing, but the near impossibility of actually targeting it. Were someone to get sufficiently close to a tesla coil, then yes it would zap them, but it would need a range of more than a few inches/yards to actually be a viable weapon. Giving it enough power to have that range, it would be able to zap anything within that radius at any time it is charged up. Whether or not it is a person, animal or inanimate object. It would not be controllable (beyond altering the supplied power), and would be completely indiscriminate in what it hits. Not a good quality for a weapon.

the power required depends on the environment, but on a dry day in a moderate climate such as Britains', the power requirement would be approximately 7kV per cm (note that it is cm from the point the spark/bolt is emitted to the point of contact with the target, not the ground distance from the tower to target).

12. AcroneSF

AcroneSF Well-Known Member

If it were to be possible you could set them up like a mine field? Although i wouldnt say that would be posible as the energy usage would be phenomenal.

13. Loonylion

theoretically possible, yes, but by no means practical.

14. k9112009

k9112009 Well-Known Member

Nikola tesla was a great inventor and scientist. He is eccentric and very unsociable but his theories on electricity an electromagnetism is staggering. It is a shame though that he did not get much credit and recognition for his work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.