1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Guitar Hero

Discussion in 'Sports' started by snebbers, Sep 7, 2009.

1. snebbers

snebbers Well-Known Member

Yes I understand this isn't a sport in some eyes, but lets look at the definition of Sport carefully..

Sport: A physical activity in which contains rules, high levels of skill, fair gameplay and is usually moderated by a governing Body...

I think that counts?

Okay Okay. I'm kinda a geek for Guitar hero. By far one of the best games around and is really challanging for your arms and brain.. That also sounds like another activity but we won't go into that...

I've played a few of these games and it took me about 5 months to move up to expert on bass + guitar, Currently I own Guitar Hero Metallica with the snazzy faceplate, as well as being my favourite band I get to whack out with their music.

Any comments?

If neccessary, move this to the gaming lounge please.

2. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

man...your good.

I can barely play 4 notes (on medium) and that's about it, so...prehaps it's a sport...it does hurt like hell after a few hours...

The ds one is the worst-I sold it after my wrist went red.

(playing on expert-I got that good on it but it was painful when ozzy osbourne came on :( )

3. snebbers

You mean Crazy Train or Mr. Crowly?

I've deducted with my manly companion (who also plays Guitar Hero), Joris, we have made our own little band called Radio Sunnydale.

Benji - Whammybird: Guitarist (Expert) (That'd be me)
    Joris - Flash: Basist (Expert) (That'd be my man)
    Drummer: Not found
    Vocaslist: Not found

Named Whammybird because I whammy all the time for kicks, Or I'll make the Waaah sound with the slidely notes.

We're still searching where we live for candidates to have a laugh with us... Unfortunately for us not many people like the delectable music played...

4. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

If guitar hero was a sport, I would be an all-time greatest MVP
    Master of Puppets on Expert, oh yeah...
    Through the Fire and Flames on Medium... ok, nevermind

5. snebbers

Mahahaa!!! That amused me :) Through the Fire and Flames has too many notes thanks to the synthesiser notes they decided to place on the chart.

I can do Master of Puppets on Expert also, and I can do Dragonforce's Through the Fire and Flames on Hard with a good 4 stars. I can last 2/3% into the song on Expert with using one hand for the hammer on's.. But yet I find that when I do Metallica - One on GH: Metallica. That I can double tap with both hands through the solo as they are ropey notes and I hit about 85% of the notes...

6. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Me and my husband are music junkies so we gravitate towards the music games. Guitar Hero to me died at Guitar Hero World Tour (WT and 5's setlist is too varied, there's like two songs I want to play for both games). I suck at doing the hard songs on Guitar Hero/Rock Band regardless if I can play them on real guitar. I can play a few metallica songs, like One, but I can't beat the song on Guitar Hero. Even if I'm at my best on Guitar Hero.

I just got The Beatles Rock Band and Guitar Hero 5. I've played a little bit of GH5 and thought the features were kick ass but I don't like the setlist, at all. The Beatles Rock Band, I came. It's a lot of fun and it's cool seeing all The Beatles at the dream spaces and at their concerts. The songs are a lot of fun on Guitar and Bass and singing (haven't played drums, my husband does that), they're on the easy side but they're charted realistically (I can tell, I can play the songs on real guitar) and are a lot of fun.

I'm biased towards The Beatles because they're my favorite band of all time. My hubby and I have to get around playing GH5, but there's not a lot of enjoyment coming out of the song choices and the freaky inclusions of Kurt Cobain and Johnny Cash, being able to sing Flava Flave.

This belongs in the Game board regardless if it takes a degree of skill. Games all take a degree of skill, and technically they're governed by your body by your fingers. The reason this belongs in the game board because it's not a sport, sports are games which involve a majority of your body, like running or swimming whatever. Moving your fingers across a plastic fake fret board and on a make shift plastic 'string' is no means a sport. It's also a video game so you know.

7. snebbers

But yet Shotput, Javalin, Discus, Herdles, 100m Sprint, Swimming, Cycling, Football and Rubgy (Just some examples) are concieved as sports. When you think about it for some you only use one body part as a Prime mover and other muscles work as well to help the general movement.

I was never really that fond of The Beatles. I'm more into Harmonic Solo's on the guitar. So one of my favourite artists is Joe Satriani.

8. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

They're sports because you physically exert your body. Guitar Hero/Rock Band is not doing that. Shotput, Javelin, Discuss, involve momentum, body movement and velocity. Hurdles, Sprinting, and Cycling involve quick swift and accurate leg movement. Swimming is almost the same except it's incorporating more aerodynamics and arm movement. Football and Rugby involve tons of running, accuracy and stamina.

What does Guitar Hero involve?
    Guitar/Bass: Finger movement across 5 buttons, and a plastic strum bar which you press down or up to make noise.
    Drums: Leg movement and wrist moving in beat to the music.
    Vocals: Well.. It's vocals, you sing.

None of these actually physically exert your body (unless you have terrible drum technique). Arguing that if Guitar Hero/Rock Band is a sport or isn't is like arguing if playing music is a sport. Which it's not, it's a hobby. That's why this topic should be in the game board.

Ah, well if anyone's a little bit interested in The Beatles and haven't had much experience with their music and style, I definitely recommend the game because it's almost like a documentary. If you're into The Beatles, it's a must buy.

I played a little more of Guitar Hero 5 and I can't get into it, the songs are sometimes fun, but there's fun associated with knowing the songs. In which case, I know like... 5 songs. <Hypr> Natalie: Anyone who thinks Guitar Hero/Rock Band is a sport, is an absolute moron

9. snebbers

You do realise I had already said in my first post that If neccessary, move this to the gaming lounge please.

10. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Yeah, I do. But you decided to argue my point, in which case, I issued a rebuttal.

11. snebbers

That amuses me, when I do join forums everyone likes to argue with me, it gives the day an interesting zing I guess. Shame I can't win by a Guitar Hero Battle :p Nah I'm just kidding.

12. mr.nintendo

mr.nintendo Well-Known Member

ephiphany

13. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

If you're talking about Epiphany, that's a record company. Which has no relevance with this topic. NICE. You also didn't spell it right.

Psht, I'd totally win lose a Guitar Hero battle.

14. snebbers

And also just putting in a random word such as epiphiny would be considered as spam >_<

It actually kind of sucks being reasonably good at Guitar Hero though... I challanged a friend just last week actually and he kept telling me that he would beat me... So being fired up and all.. I thrashed him... Much to my disappointment..

Good thing me and my friend Joris play though, he gets better daily.

Also thinking about getting Greatest Hits so I can play Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd. :)

15. mr.nintendo

guitar hero 5 is way better than beetles

16. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Have you played either? No, The Beatles isn't even out yet, I got early because I was fortunate enough to walk into a store that was selling a copy early.

Also there is no such band or game called "The Beetles".

I don't know about you but I'd rather play a game where I know the band as opposed to playing a game where I only know five out of the 84 bands.

Haha. That's what sucks about being good at it. Unlike real guitar, if you're good at Guitar Hero, it seems more like being a dick thing.

It's alright, sadly they use master tracks on that game so songs from GH2 won't have 2 solos in the songs. I think you can put on the songs on GH5, similar to RB and RB2. I haven't checked it out yet though.

17. mr.nintendo

i meant beatles band google it you will found it

18. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

I know The Beatles, I was pointing out that you didn't spell it right.

How can I not know The Beatles when I said I got the game?

19. snebbers

Natewlie, do you despise me or something, Everytime I read something you say, you seem to be against me. As for the dick thing with Guitar that's technically not true. I don't play to win, I play to have fun and join in, but nobody wants to play with me.

Also I use Guitar Hero to get to know new artists, thanks to World Tour I have Joe Satriani's Anthology Album which is 2 discs containing 15 tracks a piece. It was a good buy.

I've gotten to know a few more Lynyrd Skynyrd Songs and have re-awoken my interest in Tokio Hotel.

20. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

No I don't hate you. I'm just nit picky and I like to strike up conversation. It's fun, as you said before. Also look at the last post of this topic.

I know it's not true, it's just that people often associate that like, being good at Guitar Hero means being a dick or something. I'm not too sure why but I often play with people who play on easy/medium and I only want to play with them. Not against them, but they act as if it's against them when really it's not.

I found out a couple bands from GH. But there's the thought of initially buying it for the bands on it or not. There's not a lot of popular songs on GH5, and it's too varied, for a lot of people there's only going to be a few songs people will like.