1. This forum is in read-only mode.

government shutdown

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tyson_rss, Feb 21, 2011.

1. tyson_rss

tyson_rss Guest

i've been hearing talk about an government shutdown happening in march. what the hell does it mean? what will happen to the people? will they stop getting paid, or what? im confused of what the term means...

2. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Of what site? Here?

Never heard a thing about it. A government shutdown is when the government takes down a site.

3. tyson_rss

tyson_rss Guest

no a shutdown of the federal government on march 4th. its been talked about on the news...has nothing to do with the site...

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

they probably go on holiday for 4 months. The british parliament does.

5. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a layoff string to me. - http://articles.latimes.com/2011/feb/19/nation/la-na-government-shutdown-20110220

6. darkrequiem

darkrequiem Well-Known Member

The 'shutdown' is not exactly a holiday. Nor is it intentional.
    Shutdown of a fairly large number of federal services (and yeah, probably layoffs) for an unknown amount of time.
    It's happened before, and the effect wasn't really disastrous.

7. shadowhawk95

shadowhawk95 Well-Known Member

Amazing LL for 4 months the British parliament is in Hawaii while sipping some.While there's a war going on in England.The British parliament should deserve a Nobel piece prize for producing the most peace in England.(sarcasm)

8. doughboy

doughboy Guest

If they are really shutting it down, I can't wait till Area51 becomes a tourist spot (the real one)

9. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Where all of the advanced technology is.

10. doughboy

doughboy Guest

lol
    two weeks later...
    Add on TV
    "Get your very own death ray laser today!
    Only $19.99 + shipping and handling!"

11. shadowhawk95

shadowhawk95 Well-Known Member

shipping is 20$ and handling is $10.We are ripping you off yay ;)

12. doughboy

doughboy Guest

xD

13. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

It's probably be more helpful if you mentioned WHAT government was supposedly shutting down. There are many around the world...

14. lewis9191

lewis9191 Well-Known Member

What? I don't get your point or joke.

15. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Well, I'm assuming these are the Furlough days that many US States have been introducing as a way to keep costs of their government employee wages lower. They are planned, unpaid, vacation days, pretty much. Shutdown for a day every so often, don't pay the public sector employees for those days, and save money.

Rather than cut wages directly, they just cut hours. It's easier to sell to the employees when you don't change what they make per hour.

16. lewis9191

lewis9191 Well-Known Member

Good idea in my eyes. Shame the government wants everyone to work for free (volunteer)