1. This forum is in read-only mode.

good morning..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sulcount13, Mar 25, 2009.

1. sulcount13

sulcount13 Member

i have a simple question, but wasnt quite sure where to post it.. I am interested in downloading Goldeneye 64 but can it be played on the nds? it may sound like a ridiculous question, but im new to this whole downloading roms onto flash cards etc..Thanks for any help you can provide..

2. ICE-X

ICE-X Well-Known Member

Good morning to you too. No, that is impossible at the moment, the NDS hardware is just not strong enough to emulate the N64. I heard somewhere that to emulate a system the system running the emulator must be seven times as fast as the system that you are emulating. That means that is the N64 runs at 93.75MHz(which it does), then the DS would have to run at 656.25MHz, which it doesn't, it only runs at 100Mhz(Two processors, one at 67MHz and the other at 33MHz). So that proves the DS to be too slow to run a N64 emulator. If your computer is fast enough you can use an emulator like Project64 or 1964, you can get both at emulator-zone.com.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Correct that DS cannot run N64 games, and will never be able to. but otherwise your facts are incorrect. There is no fixed amount by which the emulating system must be more powerful than the emulated system, it depends on the systems in question and how good the emulators are. The DS is not 100Mhz, it is either 67Mhz or 33Mhz as it can only use one processor at a time.

4. ICE-X

ICE-X Well-Known Member

Oh...so that means that the DS is even weaker than the N64, weird. After a bit more research I found that you were right, thank you for correcting me because now I won't be giving people incorrect info about the DS.