1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Going Old(ish) school! The GameCube!

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by walsh219, Apr 2, 2012.

1. walsh219

walsh219 New Member

I recently decided to get a gamecube since I had an xbox as a child (and played on my friends PS2) but never gave any of the gamecube exclusive games a go (and there are a few non exclusives I never played).

Im going to pick one up from my local cash converter but I need to know a few things first, namely.

1) What should I look out for when buying the console and accessories. (signs of fault)

2) How badly do scratches affect disks? (Mint only or will a few light scratches not hurt anything?)

3) What games do you suggest I invest in first? (I already have Luigi's mansion since that was left to me in a box of games from my uncle)

2. Niflheim

Niflheim Horrible evil rat

Get the dolphin emulator instead.
    Oh, and get Pokémon Channel, it's awesome.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

dolphin isnt as good as a real gamecube.

F-zero X is a must have. I also have turok evolution, starfox adventures/assault, zelda twilight princess and the gameboy player.

4. Niflheim

From my experience it actually runs better, but my computer's probably far better than the both of yours.
    I suppose if you can't run Dolphin well then you'd be best off checking eBay because you'll be protected by Paypal if the product isn't as described.

5. Loonylion

an emulator can never be better than the real thing, and code wise dolphin is far from perfect.

second hand stores generally test their consoles etc before putting them on sale, certainly in the UK (CEX for example give a 1 year warranty on their second hand consoles, you'd be hard pressed to find that on ebay), but in a country where second hand stores aren't as dilligent (or where consumer protection law isn't as strict) then the ebay advice is probably good.

6. Niflheim

You're saying that to somebody who's currently playing FFX@1080p on an emulator.

But yeah, he's totally better off on eBay because he's not only protected but it tends to be a little cheaper too.

7. Loonylion

except you aren't, because FFX isn't 1080p. It might tell you its running at 1080p, and it might look like it is, but it's not.

8. Niflheim

"It sounds like it is, and it looks like it is, therefore it is."

9. Loonylion

except it isn't. if it was it would be creating something out of nothing, which is a physical impossibility. It's guessing at what all the extra pixels should contain, because they don't exist in the source image. Just because you can't tell the difference between upscaled SD and true HD doesn't mean there isn't a difference.

10. Niflheim

Somebody doesn't know his physics.

11. Loonylion

actually I did A level physics thank you very much.

12. Niflheim

Oh wow, that's such an accomplishment. You must totally know all there is to know about Physics.

13. Fredbox

Fredbox Well-Known Member

I'd get:
    Zelda: Wind Waker
    Mario Kart DD
    F-Zero GX
    Viewtiful Joe (not exclusive, but was initially, and a great game)
    Mario Sunshine
    Baten Kaitos (if you can stomach the voice acting)
    Eternal Darkness
    Paper Mario 2
    Metroid Prime games (the Wii compilation is great too)
    Beyond Good and Evil (once again, not exclusive but if you haven't played it, you should)
    Second Sight (same as above)
    Time Splitters 2 (ditto)
    Smash Bros Melee
    Zelda: Four Swords (if you have friends with GBAs who wanna play multiplayer)
    Tales of Symphonia
    if I were you...

That game's fully polygonal. It's certainly possible for an emulator to render it at a higher resolution. You can't apply sprite/2D graphics logic to polygonal games. Oh yeah, also, it's F-Zero GX. X was the N64 game.

14. Niflheim

I've been trying to tell him dude but he just won't listen.

15. walsh219

walsh219 New Member

well im on a AMD APU so emulation probably isnt going to work too well XD.

I'll go for ebay for the console I think, get the games from cash generator. I had all the time splitters games but never 100%ed one of them, might do it with number 2

16. darkrequiem

darkrequiem Well-Known Member

Time Splitters: Future Perfect (it's the 3rd one, and the most complete/best)
    Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Soul Calibur 2
    Odama
    Mario Kart Double Dash!!
    Pikmin
    Pikmin 2
    Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

17. Fredbox

How the hell did I forget those?! Great games.

18. Loonylion

I never said I did, stop putting words in my mouth. All i said was I have studied physics to a higher level than most people do.

19. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

? I can see where you're getting at but the way it's worded says otherwise. Textures won't be looking super great but rendering of the game would be 1080p and with AA depending on the rig, depending on the game, the game will most likely look better. Wind Waker looks fucking mind blowing on Dolphin, mostly because of it's use of cel shading and solid colors instead of detailed textures.Too bad Dolphin is only meh in terms of game compatibility and meh in performance.

Anyways.

Gotcha Force
    Mario Tennis
    Star Wars Rogue Leader 2
    Super Mario Strikers
    Kirby Air Ride
    Killer 7
    Chibi Robo

Just a couple other things, I would fall in love with F-Zero GX if it's mission/adventure mode was so incredibly difficult and if anyone mentions Billy Hatcher I'll claw their fucking eyes out, I have never played a more mediocre game than Billy Hatcher.

NO MENTION OF ANIMAL CROSSING? THAT IS THE BEST GAMECUBE GAME EVER. Gamecube was fucking awesome

20. Fredbox

This too.

As far as I could tell, A level physics wasn't really that in depth, and loads of people have done it. But it also hasn't got much to do with rendering videogames (silly Nifleheim).